HELP Forum Car won't start, Spark Plug Melted? Car throwing sparks down as you drive down the road? Ask your car questions here.

Heater blower not working

Old 04-01-2008, 07:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Elantra
Default Heater blower not working

No AC no blower but rear window defrost and recirc buttons still work? Checked fuses, so where to begin trouble shooting now!?
Old 04-02-2008, 07:06 AM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Vehicle: 2010 Genesis 2.0T

Ummm....welcome to the site. You didnt make an introduction post so I would of never knew what kind of car you had if I didnt look at your profile.

If you have no blower, and you checked all your fuses....chances are it either died or you have a short somewhere. It could either be the blower itself or the switch. You said you have no AC, so I'm also assuming you have no heat as well. Im not too sure if theres a fuse in the engine bay fuse box that runs the blower, but you may want to check that as well. Otherwise, it just sounds like the blower kicked the bucket on ya.
Old 04-02-2008, 07:29 PM

QUOTE(Visionz @ Apr 2 2008, 07:06 AM)
Ummm....welcome to the site. You didnt make an introduction post so I would of never knew what kind of car you had if I didnt look at your profile.

If you have no blower, and you checked all your fuses....chances are it either died or you have a short somewhere. It could either be the blower itself or the switch. You said you have no AC, so I'm also assuming you have no heat as well. Im not too sure if theres a fuse in the engine bay fuse box that runs the blower, but you may want to check that as well. Otherwise, it just sounds like the blower kicked the bucket on ya.

Yeah, guess that info would've helped a bit, huh!? Sorry 'bout that and will attempt to do better in the future! Yes checked fuse in engine bay box, and nothing looked blown! Was just hoping for something like check for 12V here and if not, replace this, yada yada! Kinda expensive to replace parts by guessing y'know!? But no, heat is nto working either! Was kinda hoping it was the switch as it seems they are a little cheaper to replace! tongue.gif
Old 04-02-2008, 07:47 PM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Vehicle: 2010 Genesis 2.0T

Do you have a voltage or test meter to check to see if either the switch or blower are getting power? I would try that first and then kind of go from there. You might be in luck and it could just be the switch, which is a pretty cheap part to replace. smile.gif
Old 04-02-2008, 08:50 PM

QUOTE(Visionz @ Apr 2 2008, 07:47 PM)
Do you have a voltage or test meter to check to see if either the switch or blower are getting power? I would try that first and then kind of go from there. You might be in luck and it could just be the switch, which is a pretty cheap part to replace. smile.gif

Yep have got a multi meter and am kinda familiar with auto electrical but wiring diagrams for the HVAC from HMAService are kinda confusing! Just need to know which teminals should have 12V and if not, where to go next! Know that may be beyond the scope of this forum, but any direction (at least a good one!) is better than running in circles! wink.gif
Old 04-03-2008, 09:57 AM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: Two Accents, Mini, Miata, Van, Outback, and a ZX-6

Check for voltage at the fan speed selection knob. If you have it check for output voltage from the speed selection knob. Or go right to the most likely source and check for voltage at the fan motor connections themselves. Fan motors go out fairly often compared to other components so it's by far the most likely suspect if your fuses are all good.
Old 04-04-2008, 03:12 PM

QUOTE(187sks @ Apr 3 2008, 09:57 AM)
Check for voltage at the fan speed selection knob. If you have it check for output voltage from the speed selection knob. Or go right to the most likely source and check for voltage at the fan motor connections themselves. Fan motors go out fairly often compared to other components so it's by far the most likely suspect if your fuses are all good.

Will check tomorrow if the rain ever stops here in TN! And will also let you guys know what I find out! And thanks to all in advance! laugh.gif
Old 04-08-2008, 06:50 PM

Well, took glove box out (finally got a sunny day here) and with key in the "run" position, checked for any voltage at the blower connection itself and got nothing! Checked the fan itself by checking for continuity and got good continuity throught the motor itself! So am going to assume it's the switch! Switch itself feels kinda "funny" ; hard to describe but doesn't feel like it's making any of the contacts inside so at my next opportune day after work (if it's not raining) get the trim off the dash and check the switch next! Will keep you updated as to progress!
Old 04-08-2008, 07:13 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: Two Accents, Mini, Miata, Van, Outback, and a ZX-6

Well, one thing down at least. That'll make the next part one step easier.
Old 04-09-2008, 08:45 PM

Well finally got the dash trim out and guess what, the whole back of the switch fell out of it housing! No electrical troubleshooting needed! Now just got to find the part around here somewhere or on ebay, of course! Thanks to all for their help! You guys rock!