HELP Forum Car won't start, Spark Plug Melted? Car throwing sparks down as you drive down the road? Ask your car questions here.

Heat problem

Old 03-27-2011, 01:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2004 Hyundai Accent
Default Heat problem

I own a 2002 accent 1.6L DOHC. I recently had the water pump replaced, as well as, the head gasket, 2 intake valves. I car heats up a lot faster then before, into the normal range. Never going over or dropping back below while driving. When in the normal range, if I have the heat on while driving I get really good heat. But if I am stopped at a red light, the heat the really luke warm. Again the temperature gauge never drops or goes over the normal range. That would rule out a faulty thermostat wouldn't it? Could this mean a heater core problem or that there is air trapped in the system? If its an air problem, would I pop the rad cap, heat the car up, with the temperature gauge turned to hot, and idle around 2000 rpms? Now if that's right, does the blower got to be on?

By the way, It is brand new coolant, 50/50 mix, and I am not loosing collant.

If its the heater core, is it easy to get at, I mean as far as heater cores go?

Thanks
Old 03-27-2011, 02:27 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

It is possible that whatever was wrong that made you get all that work done, also made it heat up less quickly. I would generally say if the thermostat shows you're in the normal temperature range, don't worry about it. It could also be a slight effect that is magnified by you paying attention to it these days.

FYI Hyundai's temperature "gauges" tend to be little more than idiot lights with needles. If the temperature fluctuates but stays in the acceptable normal range, the needle will hold steady.
Old 03-27-2011, 06:25 PM

So an air lock couldn't cause this. SOmetimes I always get heat. Driving or stopped. Other time it is like how I said.
Old 03-27-2011, 06:40 PM

Vehicle: 1998 Hyundai Tiburon

i would lean more towards the hvac controls/ electronics rather than it being a mechanical problem.
Old 03-27-2011, 08:43 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: Two Accents, Mini, Miata, Van, Outback, and a ZX-6

I think the most likely answer is that the thermostat is stuck open. I'm assuming that you've felt to see the temp of the air, at idle the fan blows a lot less hard but it should still be the same temp.
Old 03-27-2011, 08:48 PM

COuld the thermostat be stuck open even if the temperature is in the normal range. Like I said the car seems to heat up quickly but never goes over.

If the thermostat was open the car would never heat up?or heat up and cool down?
Old 03-27-2011, 09:11 PM
Administrator

Your temperature gauge actually just has 3 ranges. Cold, normal, and hot. If it stays in the normal range the needle won't move from the center of the gauge. Even with a pretty major fluctuation the temp gauge will stay centered.

If the thermostat is stuck open it will generally heat up slower, and not get that hot unless you're pushing the car pretty hard. So it's generally cooler, and fluctuates a lot more than normal. It could also be stuck partially open which would only let it cool off when the engine isn't under load.
Old 03-28-2011, 04:39 PM

Ever have a problem removing the thermostat housing or bolts? I am worry they may snap. Also I know that the housing is prone to corrosion. However in this engine I know the thermostat sits in the head. So what happens if there is corrosion around the seal in the housing? If it sat in housing I know you replace the housing. Lastly since it sits verticle should I use gasket sealer to help hold the gasket in place while bolting it back on? I guess since there is 4 bolts you start in the center and go out like most gaskets?

Thanks
Old 03-28-2011, 05:50 PM
Administrator

Sorry, never had mine off. Not sure.
Old 03-29-2011, 06:20 AM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

It's because you have a 1.6L... Thing heats up and cools down like a toaster cause it's so small.

Sorry, had to. It does sound like your thermostat is stuck open though. Your needle will stay in the normal range, even though your car may be cool. Someone on here accurately described the 3 temperature settings of your temp gauge: car off, car on, and you just toasted your engine. So even though your car may be very cool (thermostat stuck open), it will still show a normal operating temperature. And it wouldn't ever go over normal as your car doesn't get that hot.