HELP Forum Car won't start, Spark Plug Melted? Car throwing sparks down as you drive down the road? Ask your car questions here.

Header/o2 issue! Cel code retrieved

Old 03-02-2003, 03:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai tiburon
Default Header/o2 issue! Cel code retrieved

My setup:
SR 4-2-1 two piece header
Carsound Cat
Custom midpipe w/ perforated core Resonator
HKS Super Dragger muffler
Extended o2's

I bought the SR 4-2-1 header a year ago and have had a reoccuring problem with the cel. I wired the o2's perfectly but when i first put it in i put them in the wrong locations (o2-1 in spot 2 vice versa). Anway i changed that and the car was fine for several months. Recently the cell came on again while i was driving and after an hour on the highway it went off and then turned back on when i got home. I took the o2's off and the wireing is fine but it is running really rich.

I'm gonna take it to the closest dealer(150 miles) on Thursday and have them pull the code. The problem is new o2's are $99.00 bucks apiece and i'm not sure that buying new o2's and cutting the wires and rewiring it is worth it or if it will fix it permantely. The dealer said some **** about needing to have some service done every 30,000 because the cold intake air does something to the injectors causing them to dribble instead of spray which burns up the o2's. I may see if they will extend the wires but is this gonna fix it.

Anyway i wanted to know your opinions such as whether i should buy new o2's and cut/rewire them and try it again or should i sell 4-2-1 header and put the stock back on and just buy the Speedstate midpipe instead.

Thanks
JD

[ March 07, 2003, 04:55 AM: Message edited by: redturbulance ]
Old 03-02-2003, 11:34 AM

couple things you can do.

First what code were you getting? that'll help us.

also, if you can get ahold of a odb2 tester, it'll tell you alot of details about your engine, ie, what voltages your o2 sensors are running. That should help you figure out if you need new o2 sensors or not.
Old 03-02-2003, 01:37 PM

Vehicle: 01 Tiburon

I've been having the same problem with my car here lately too. I've got about the same setup which I've had for a little over a year, and I had a check engine light come on about a week ago. It was P 0131, low voltage bank one. Took it to a mechanic and they checked it out but wouldn't fix it because stuff had been modified. Got the codes checked out again after that, and now I have a P1128 and P1124 codes. Both say it's running lean, and making it dump loads of fuel in there. I've got black stuff coming outta my muffler, and it's on my bumper also. I'm still wondering what's causing it to read lean, and what I can do to fix it.
Old 03-03-2003, 09:43 AM

I'm gonna take it to the dealer on Thursday and find out what code and then decide what to do.

Thanks
JD
Old 03-06-2003, 06:58 AM

the dealer might not diagnose the code because the header install is causing it...it all depends on who you run into. i would try and find an auto parts store that does free obd2 scanning. in fl, we have autozone. i don't know what you guys have there.
Old 03-06-2003, 09:53 PM

well they diagnosed it and the code is a:

P0138,02 sensor high voltage b1/52, O2 failed

Anyway they have been somewhat decent about the header and they ordered the second O2 and they are even going to install it and extend the wires for me.

So hopefully this fix's my problem.

Any comments welcome.

JD
Old 03-07-2003, 02:01 AM

Vehicle: 2000 Tiburon

sup everyone, wow this topic hs been covered so many times, but i never posted on any of them cause i didnt have a header HF cat or exhuast, but i recently purchase Decker's (from the boards) 4-1 header, a carsound HF cat, and a 28 inch Thrushmaster glasspack, and an Apexi N1 exhaust.
None of it has been installed... yet, cause i will be underway (damn Navy, jk) for 3 weeks, so im waiting to do the install.
questions:
redturbulance, who is they, hyundai dealer?? are they doing the work for free under warrantee??
Could it be the guage or soldering (connection) of the extension that causes an error code.
Its known that due to the lack of exhaust gas filtering due to a HF exhaust that the computer compensates by dumping fuel, but could it be also the amount of resistance in the longer wires.
I recentley posted a topic to discuss O2 sensor wire guages clicky and like Denisst99 said, longer wires create more resistance, so you need to compensate for the length by adding diameter, this is true. I learned this in an advanced electronics class I took in the navy for my job as a sonar technician.
Allright enuf blab, whos got a comment??

[ March 07, 2003, 09:05 AM: Message edited by: Loneshark ]
Old 03-10-2003, 05:47 AM

Yes it's true that in DC circuitry that wires do carry a load resistance but I seriously doubt that the 15 inches of 16-14 gauge wire will alter the resistance of the acutual circuit the ecu sees, enough to hinder performance. It would have never worked to begin with if such was the case when he extended the wires at the beginning.