HELP Forum Car won't start, Spark Plug Melted? Car throwing sparks down as you drive down the road? Ask your car questions here.

Guage readings

Old 02-01-2003, 03:20 AM
Jon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Guage readings

Ive just fitted my new guages but im not sure if the readings are correct so im after a little help telling me if these seem about right. Oil temp only rose to about 95 celcius and the oil pressure started off at about 25psi when it was cold and dropped to about 15psi when warmed and the car was at Idle. It goes back upto about 24-28 psi when under boost.

By the way the oil temp is sump temp.

Any idea if these sound correct.

[ February 01, 2003, 02:57 PM: Message edited by: Jon ]
Old 02-01-2003, 09:49 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

Oil pressure sounds a tad low. Where did you tap your oil pressure sender?

Cold, at idle, Oil pressure should be nearly 75psi..then quickly drop off down to around 20psi at idle once the oil warms up. Once the engine is fully up to operating tempature, oil pressure should be at about 20 psi at idle and peak at about 75-80 psi at top rpm.

This is measuring Oil pressure at the right hand side of the head oil galley.

Oil temps...95C is about 203F. That's acutally much COOLER than I would have expected your oil to be. It's within the acceptable range, so no worries. If you ever see your oil temps go above 230F (110C) on a regular basis, consider getting an oil cooler.
Old 02-01-2003, 11:01 PM
Jon

Thanks for the info Random

The oil feed is running of a tpiece from the same pace as the alpine oil feed comes from. I think this is where you mean when you say the right hand side of the oil galley. The oil was a tadge low so i just topped it up and now i get still 30 at idle and when it has warmed up this drops to about 20psi. Under boost it now rises to about 40-45psi.

Im still not sure about the temp though as its iether reading low or ive just learnt an important lesson. When the standard water temp gauge in the car was reading in the normal operating range the oil temp hadnt even made it to 50 celcius yet and after aout 10 mins driving it had still only his 75. Is this right does the oil really take this long to heat up or is my guage dodgy.
Old 02-02-2003, 02:06 AM
Super Moderator

I would expect your oil temp to have risen much faster than that. After 10 minutes of driving, your oil temp should be up to "operating" range.

You said you tapped the oil pan for the temp gauge. Are you sure the oil temp sender is "in" oil? Is it possible it's in air, and only getting oil splashed on it?

In regards to the oil pressure, that's still lower than I would have expected, and lower than I've seen others post for the same oil pressure sender mount point.
Old 02-02-2003, 06:58 AM
Jon

MMMMM all in all so far im not to happy with these TIM Guages. It must be in the oil as it replaces the sump plug so its pretty much at the bottom. You dont get the initial high PSI when you start the engine as it takes the guage a good 5 seconds to rise it so slow. Im thinking about iether a refund or trying a diiferant electric sender. The lenght of signal cable i have shouldnt make a differance should it. As ive threaded it about half way around the engine through into the fender and then back into the car. Pretty much any electrical sender should work with these guages shouldnt it.
Old 02-04-2003, 02:24 AM
Super Moderator

No, the sender and gauge are a "pair".

The Sender and gauge are matched to eachother. So that say 1.5V = 45 PSI of pressure or say 60c Oil temp.

Another sender may send .75v for the same readings, or it may send 2.25v for the same reading.

Always go with the senders that come with the gauge sets, or at least verify with your gauge maker which senders are compatable.

You are correct, that wire lenght should have neglabile effects on gauge readings.
Old 02-04-2003, 05:17 AM
Jon

Ive shorted out the sensor line and i get full deflection so it isnt those. I think ill be contacting the company for some info as it looks like the sensors are crap. Just a thought that sort of ties in with that earthing thing in the other topic(cant remember which one. If our earthing is crap or mine is really bad(maybe) why my idle bobs so much recently) the sender may not send a strong signal or should i say lack of signal. Im going to run an earth brade and hold it near each sensor just to see if i get any better reading.
Old 02-04-2003, 06:54 PM

Hi Jon, I can`t comment on your oil- pressure gauge readings, as I don`t have one, but your oil-temperature figures are very good for a turbo-conversion!.
Due to the under-piston oil jets, my Scoupe Turbo runs @ 120C under normal driving (summer or winter)rising to 125C when I`m thrashing it!
I`ll be fitting an oil-cooler (probably with a fan) when my inter-cooler is installed.
Old 02-04-2003, 10:09 PM

Like Random said, oil pressure sounds very low. 20 at idle and 60+ at higher RPM's is what I'd expect. 10 (on a ford product anyways) would light up the check oil light and be indicative (from experience) that one was losing a bearing rapidly...

I'd go buy an el cheapo $10 mechanical oil pressure gauge, mount it in the bung for the oil pressure sensor, clamp it to the hood, and go for a drive. That'll give you the true oil pressure and something to benchmark against.
Old 02-07-2003, 06:36 AM
Jon

I think im going to do that. I noticed when i turn the ignition on but dont start the car the needle rises not to the 0 mark but to what would be about -10psi, but when i short the signal line to earth it does raise to the max on the scale, but in still not happy with the -10 psi part.

As for the oil temp it looks like it does take my oil that long to warm up(its has been netween -1 and +1C outside) as i took the car for a bit of a longer run and it went upto 95C, then i started to boot the car alot and it rose to 110C. So it looked like that part does work fine it just takes a long while to warm up. The only thing i didnt like is the oil pressure went down to about 12psi at this temp so something is deffinatly screwed on that side.