HELP Forum Car won't start, Spark Plug Melted? Car throwing sparks down as you drive down the road? Ask your car questions here.

fuel guage problem

Old 05-03-2003, 09:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fuel guage problem

well after the 3rd time of trying to fix this problem, i have come to a dead end suicide after we installed the walboro pump a few weeks ago, i just noticed that the needle on the stock gauge goes to 1/4 and then stops. my fuel light comes on when i am almost out of gas so i know that works. we took the pump out and looked at the sending unit and it is fine. as soon as we took out the fuel pump and i turned the key on (not starting the car of course) and the needle read the correct fuel depth. we put everything back together and it worked for about an hour. i filled the tank, drove around for a few days and the needle is doing the same thing all over again. this is the 3rd time now and i have no idea why it would be doing this. there is nothing blocking it or even touching it except fuel.
do i need to reset my needle since i went to a bigger pump? i have the walboro 255L.
thanks for any help
Old 05-03-2003, 11:05 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

moving to HELP forum poke
Old 05-03-2003, 04:23 PM

sorry about posting in the wrong spot random, i spaced it and forgot about the help section.
Old 05-03-2003, 04:58 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

The fuel pump shouldn't affect the fuel level sender, unless something about the new pump is stopping the floar/arm from moving.

are you sure that the float/arm can move through the full range of motion without hitting the new pump?

You shouldn't need to recalibate the fuel gauge for a new pump. Something MUST be interfearing with the float/arm or the voltage from the sender attached to it.
Old 05-04-2003, 06:17 PM

it has to be something with the float arm because when i fill the tank it goes to full, then as i drive around it comes down like it is suppose to then stops at 1/4 tank.

i am gonna try to re-position the fuel pump a little just to make sure it's not touching anything.

thanks random
Old 05-05-2003, 04:25 AM

usually with new pumps, they give a performance filter to put on the end. and is usually longer and wider then the stock one, and stop the floater from going down.

You need to bend the floater to the side some, so that it clears the filter.

DO NOT CUT THE FILTER.

moving it to the side, will not affect how it reads.

Moving it up and down will afftec the reading of the guage.
Old 05-08-2003, 05:22 AM

Hello,
My 2001 tib has just started to do the exact same thing. I fill my tank all the way up, and as it uses the fuel the guage stops at 1/4 tank. And I thought that I was just getting great gas mileage. lol. I am going to take it in to the dealer (under warranty) and see what they say, when I get a chance.
ciao