HELP Forum Car won't start, Spark Plug Melted? Car throwing sparks down as you drive down the road? Ask your car questions here.

Forged Pistons!! Nedd HELP!!!

Old 12-13-2001, 04:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Forged Pistons!! Nedd HELP!!!

I was wondering who sells Forged Pistons but dont cost a fortune.I know RED has the overbore ones but im just looking for drop in Piston.
As you know my motor is the 1.8L and was wondering if i should get a 2.0L block from the scrap yard to put the Forged pistons in,or should i get the 1.8L Pistons or 2.0L Pistons and bore out my Block to a 2.0L displacement.
Old 12-13-2001, 05:05 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

The bore on the 1.8 and the 2.0L is the same. It is the stroke on the 1.8L is shorter, thus the smaller displacement.

So 1.8L and 2.0L pistions are the exact same.

No one i know of makes "drop in" pistions, for the beta...and you probably would not want them if they did.

new pistions and rings should have nice fresh cylinder walls to mate up to with the proper cross hatch pattern specified by the maker of the piston rings, so at the minimum, the cylinders would have to be re-honed.

As long as you are doing that, you might as well do the minor bore job and go with the forged pistons that red has from Ross.
Old 12-13-2001, 09:16 AM
Red

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

See my note on FXTreme regarding this topic. You will NEED aftermarket rods to fit these pistons... Unfortunately, because the block/pistons/rings/pins are all identical between 2.0L and 1.8L motors, the only thing that likely changed to facilitate the shorter stroke is the crank (duh) and a set of longer rods. That means longer than the 2.0L rods, which means you will need to have a set of rods custom-fabricated for your 1.8L motor.

You might find it advantageous to simply buy a 2.0L longblock for el-cheapo and start building it in your garage. This means your car isn't out of comission for WEEKS while you're doing the upgrades, you get more displacement in the end anyway, and you can spend as long as you want getting parts without having to worry about impacting your daily driver.

And you always have a spare motor if you blow up your project.

-Red-