HELP Forum Car won't start, Spark Plug Melted? Car throwing sparks down as you drive down the road? Ask your car questions here.

Flashing lights after timing belt change.

Old 04-10-2010, 02:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: LC2 Accent GT
Default Flashing lights after timing belt change.

I changed my timing belt yesterday and after completing everything and test driving the car everything seems perfect except for one small issue, all of the lights on the gauge cluster, center console including the radio and climate controls, side marker lights and tail lamps flash when you first open the door. They continue to blink for a minute or two then stop and repeat when you shut the car off. Nothing seems to be wrong from a mechanical or electrical standpoint to indicate why this is happening. It's not a CEL, just the lights I mentioned before. Blinking generally is indicative of something that needs immediate attention but I can't for the life of me figure it out. Any ideas?
Old 04-10-2010, 06:41 PM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Does it blink at the speed of the door chime? I've never heard or see anything like this before.
Old 04-10-2010, 07:49 PM

I recorded a quick clip so everyone could see. I shot it in the dark on my iPhone but it's enough to see what I'm talking about. Gauge Cluster Blink
Old 04-10-2010, 09:09 PM
Super Moderator

Vehicle: 14 EGT 2.0

did someone drop the alternator on its voltage regulator.. o.0. That is kinda nuts.
Old 04-11-2010, 02:15 AM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

I've seen that before, but it was strictly an electrical issue. Did you perchance replace any bulbs? Are your hazard lights on?
Old 04-11-2010, 02:15 AM

Vehicle: 03 Hyundai Accent

HAHAHAHAHA OMG THAT'S CRAZY. Good luck figuring it out. I'll think about it and let you know if I come up with anything...
Old 04-11-2010, 02:44 AM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: Two Accents, Mini, Miata, Van, Outback, and a ZX-6

Make sure that you didn't disconnect any grounds, like the chassis to engine block ground strap. That's the only thing I can think of that you could have disturbed while changing the timing belt that could even possibly have this effect.

If that's all good, troubleshoot it a bit more please, see if it's related to the door chime, hazards, or anything else you can think of.

Do you have an alarm? If so and the siren isn't working it could be going off and flashing your lights.
Old 04-11-2010, 12:50 PM

I didn't even think about the alarm. I took the siren out months ago and took the batteries out of the remote as the people who did the "professional" install did a hack job that I've yet to have time to repair. Even though I've disconnected and reconnected the battery dozens of time since then without this issue I guess it's possible that could still be it. I'll have to go do some checking to see. I hope that's what it is, glad you thought of it Floyd, thanks!
Old 04-12-2010, 03:53 AM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: Two Accents, Mini, Miata, Van, Outback, and a ZX-6

Hope that's it, as it's relatively simple. Let us know. smile.gif
Old 04-12-2010, 09:33 AM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

Alarms are such a PITA..I just had to strip my whole alarm out..that was already in the car when i bought it, so i had no idea what to look for..spent hours on the internet trying to find it..and then it took me about 2 hours cause i had no room to work with. but i got the little sucker out..haha, anyway, good luck