HELP Forum Car won't start, Spark Plug Melted? Car throwing sparks down as you drive down the road? Ask your car questions here.

Electrical probs

Old 04-23-2003, 05:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 1999 Elantra
Default Electrical probs

Today is not a good day for yours truly. The trusty steed has starting problems. Seems like a discharged battery, I daresay. Luckily, a push start from some peepz made it up and running again.

When yours truly attemped to take a right turn and the right turn signal light thingy, the turn light flashed quicker than usual. Seems like a blown fuse somewhere, right? But the prob dissapeared.

When yours truly was about to go somewhere after starting the beast (again), he noticed that the ABS light failed to close. It seems like Lantraluvr is going to be screwed when an emergency breaking opportunity presents itself. Luckily, nothing happened and yours truly was able to reach home. After shutting down the engine, he decided to start the engine to see if the ABS light would act normally again. It did.

So guys, what do you think is my car's problem? I mean, it can't just be from a dying battery?
Old 04-24-2003, 05:48 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

The fast blink turnsignal means one of your turn signal bulbs is burned out. If it "fixed" itself, it means that there is a short in the system grounding out the turn signals.

The ABS light stays on to indicate a fault in the ABS system. Low fluid, electrical short, etc..etc..etc.

The battery being dead when you tried to start the car, and the above problems leads me to belive that you have an electrical short, grounding a positive wire, causing the battery to constanly discharge.

To find out what circit is the culprit, do the following.

Remove positive and negative battery wires. Measure voltage with a multi-meter.
Re connect wires, and then read multi meter. If voltage drops by more than .5V, you've got a problem.

Start pulling fuzes in the passenger compartment. When the multimeter voltage goes back up to it's original reading, you know you found the circit with the fault.

If none of the fuzes in the passenger compartment do it, try the ones in the engine compartment. If THOSE still don't do it, check to see if the voltage goes back up when you trip the main breaker in the engine compartment. If that does it, then the problem is in the main postive and ground wires.
Old 04-24-2003, 05:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 1999 Elantra

Problem solved... for now! There was a loose wire connecting the front signal bulb. Fixed that. Changed my battery too to a low-maintainance one.

Thanks Random!