HELP Forum Car won't start, Spark Plug Melted? Car throwing sparks down as you drive down the road? Ask your car questions here.

Electrical Issue?

Old 02-07-2013, 04:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon
Default Electrical Issue?

A few weeks ago, my car started "hiccuping" while its at an idle. That's the only way I can think to describe it. The whole engine shudders and my RPM's were dropping a lot. I took it to my mechanic, and he said it was the alternator. Replaced that and it was still happening, and he wasn't sure what it was. So we took it to the dealership, and they said it was the battery and the battery cable harness. It greatly helped the hiccup, but it's still doing it. The dealership is even sure what's wrong with it, and suggested that it was the coil pack. That was replaced, and didn't help. They said it might be the timing belt, so we had that replaced as well, but it's still happening. When my heat is on, the hiccup becomes worse, and you can definitely tell that there's a low voltage somewhere because when I turn on my headlights the lights that light up my gauges is severely dimmed. The car actually died at one point while I was sitting at a red light. I can't keep dumping money into the car, and was wondering if anyone had any thoughts/suggestions.

The car did throw a code of low voltage, (both P0562 and P0743) but hasn't since even though it's still doing this.

The only mods I have are an OBX Cat.

The vaccum lines have all been checked twice over and my fuel injectors have been replaced. The MAF has been replaced too (I pulled it off of a Tibby in a junkyard, so I'm about to replace that brand new). The TPS was replaced as well.
Old 02-07-2013, 05:07 PM

Vehicle: 1991 Impulse RS

Sounds like you have some pretty crappy mechanics around your area. I like to call guys like that "part changers". They have no idea what's wrong with the car so they just throw parts at it and hope they fix the problem. They will eventually fix it, but it gets expensive.

It might not need ANY parts, has anyone checked the electrical grounds on the car to be sure they are ok? That's where I would start.
Old 02-07-2013, 05:23 PM

Yeah, that's why I went to the dealer. My regular mechanic, is good but that's mostly what he does, just change out my parts. I figured the dealer might be a little better but they have no idea. We checked the grounds, all that we could find anyway - which was at least 3.
Old 02-07-2013, 05:30 PM

Vehicle: 1991 Impulse RS

There should be more than 3 grounds
Old 02-07-2013, 05:34 PM

Do you by chance know where they're all located?
Old 02-07-2013, 10:31 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

www.hyundaitechinfo.com/

use Internet Explorer

register for a free login

navigate to:

ETM> TIBURON(RC) >2001 > G 2.0 DOHC > General > General > GROUND LOCATION INDEX >

With pictures, even.

I would recommend taking your car to the nearest major chain auto parts store to have them test the battery free, while you wait. If they can test the entire charging system, all the better. If you are getting low voltage, obviously the charging system is faulty. Stop throwing parts at it, and let a GOOD mechanic help you. Let us help you too, that's why we are here.

Is the check engine light on now? They will read that for you at the auto parts store also.

In the mean time, use your right foot gently on the gas pedal to keep engine speed up when you are stopped, to prevent it dying. I have had to do this before and it can be stressful; try to remember you won't hurt anything by doing it wrong.
Old 02-08-2013, 02:03 PM

Vehicle: Hyundai Accent

doing it hot and cold ?
Old 02-09-2013, 11:26 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Vehicle: 2010 Genesis Coupe 2L track

Sounds like the AC compressor might be shot? Assuming you have one and the climate control is turning it on.

If you do then try the climate control in just the floor setting. This should keep the compressor off. Or pull the AC clutch fuse, or hi pressure connector, or low pressure connector or the clutch coil connector, any will keep the compressor off..
Old 02-09-2013, 04:42 PM

Thanks for that, I'll definetely look into it. I have taken it to Advance Auto 3 times to get the charging system checked, and each time it came up as good, even though the engine was shuddering right in front of them. When I took it to my regular mechanic, he said that the alternator was putting out a lot less than what is should, which is what prompted him to suggest replacing it.

No, the check engine light isn't on right now, and hasn't been for a while even though something is still obviously wrong. I've been doing that little trick for a few weeks now, giving it gas at a stop light, it just sucks a lot lol

Originally Posted by Stocker
www.hyundaitechinfo.com/

use Internet Explorer

register for a free login

navigate to:

ETM> TIBURON(RC) >2001 > G 2.0 DOHC > General > General > GROUND LOCATION INDEX >

With pictures, even.

I would recommend taking your car to the nearest major chain auto parts store to have them test the battery free, while you wait. If they can test the entire charging system, all the better. If you are getting low voltage, obviously the charging system is faulty. Stop throwing parts at it, and let a GOOD mechanic help you. Let us help you too, that's why we are here.

Is the check engine light on now? They will read that for you at the auto parts store also.

In the mean time, use your right foot gently on the gas pedal to keep engine speed up when you are stopped, to prevent it dying. I have had to do this before and it can be stressful; try to remember you won't hurt anything by doing it wrong.
Old 02-09-2013, 04:44 PM

Yup. It's not too bad when I first start it up, but it's still there. It gets worse though as it gets hot

Originally Posted by Antonyr123
doing it hot and cold ?