HELP Forum Car won't start, Spark Plug Melted? Car throwing sparks down as you drive down the road? Ask your car questions here.

ECU Reading Project

Old 11-07-2010, 10:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 1997/Hyundai/Coupe 2.0l SE
Default ECU Reading Project

Right this is causing me a major headache, I doubt it'd work on my Hyundai but the idea was to get it either work on mine or I have access to a Vauxhall Corsa B to try and get this to work on.

First off I bought a cable, this one Ebay Item:320601258177 it has an FTDI chipset is suitable for ISO9141 and KWP2000 transmission protocol (16pin OBD II style Data Link Connector). This will become relevant in a minute.

Secondly I downloaded this http://www.scantool.net/scanxl-pro.html which says "Our products support 1996* and newer vehicles whether it be US, Asian, or European.

Supported OBD-II protocols: SAE-J1850 (PWM and VPW), ISO-9141, ISO-14230 (KWP2000), and ISO-15765 (CAN)." And apparently they cover Hyundai too.

Thirdly I opened the above program, plugged in the cable and it keeps telling me the "Interface not found"

Now before I "fix" the cable in true Adam style can anyone, and I do mean anyone, wives, dogs, pet hamsters, see where I'm going wrong??

Before anyone says mine doesn't have OBDII, this program also covers OBD-II Protocols

J1850 VPW

J1850 PWM

ISO 9141

ISO 14230 (KWP)

ISO 15765 (CAN)

Another program I have tried is http://carport-diagnose.de/ which states on the home page "Currently CarPort supports car diagnostics over the K-Line (protocols KWP1281 and KWP2000) exclusively, using a KKL-Interface for the communication between the computer and your car."

Old 11-19-2010, 11:07 AM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

Are you trying to get it to work in the car our out? If you are trying to get it to work in the car. Lets cover the basics. First everything plugged in correctly. Is the key in the on position so the ecu is getting power or at least are you powering the ecu by anoth means? Can you pull basic codes from the car should be standard protocol cel codes nothin fancy . If you can't even pull codes then take it up to Autozone and see if their code reader is pulling codes. If not then you have something disconnected between the plug and the ecu. Always check the hardware before you blame the software. Final if all this is a go then see if you can find a program that will let you see realtime data in another language such as Korean. If all else fails take out the ecu and check to see what chipsets are used and then you can post and I can ask my ECU gurus if they have a program that will work with the given chipsets. Sorry I haven't looked into the ecu tuning yet as other then basic mods I have yet to need to tune the car.
Old 11-23-2010, 07:11 AM

Vehicle: 1999 Hyundai Tiburon

For some reason european spec tiburon is not a full OBDII compliant. From what I have understood Hyundai used some weird version of OBD protocol in 1996-1999 vehicles in Europe which is different from those used in the US. Also ECU pinout and wiring of 1996-1999 Tiburon is different for European and US spec cars and there is no way to fit the US spec ECU into European Tiburon (unless you chnage the wiring as well as interface). As far as I have managed to digg out only official Hyundai diagnostic tool and diagnostic tool for Volvo (for Volvo vehicles using Siemens ECU) are able to read these.