HELP Forum Car won't start, Spark Plug Melted? Car throwing sparks down as you drive down the road? Ask your car questions here.

Don't know what to do

Old 04-03-2011, 02:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2004 Hyundai Accent
Default Don't know what to do

A few week ago my buddy fixed my car as i posted before. head gasket, 2 intake valves, timing belt, water pump on my 2004 accent 1.6l. Anyway, when I got it back I got a code po340 i believe. So I checked the wires to the cam sensor, changed the cam sensor and still have it. I know that if the timings just off it could throw the code. But now my buddy doesn't think its the problem, and claims it was all timed right, after saying it could be off. I just don't think he wants to take a look. He told me he could check the cam to cam timing again and spin the intake cam two teeth (which is what he originally said it looked like it was off by when he was fixing my valve cover leak) but says now he is not sure if ill f*ck a vlave. So, right now I have a car that runs, not the best as it misfires sometimes, takes a few more then before cranks before it starts, and has loss of power then it did before, or take a chance and possible f*ck a valve and have no car.

What to do?

As for the valve cover gasket it still is leaking. Brand new gasket however the second time he tried fixing it for me he put down gasket sealer under the gasket. So now if I take it off, is there a way to clean the gasket (free of the sealer) to reuse it again or does it mean buy another?

I mean I want it fix and at least if I can clean it to use it again I can always take another look at the cam to cam timing myself to decide what to do.

Lastly what would cause the car to run rich in the morning after it sat overnight? I mean besides what could be causing my problems already.

Thanks
Old 04-03-2011, 09:32 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

If it's just for a couple of seconds, it could be injectors leaking pressure from the lines into the cylinders. If it's rich for a few minutes, can't help you.

The valve cover is really not that hard. If your mechanic can't get one to seal you need either a new mechanic or a new valve cover (warped). As for the timing, that is also not hard to *check* yourself. Inform yourself and DIY, and you'll know it's right.
Old 04-03-2011, 11:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Vehicle: 02 Hyundai Accent

Well from what you said you may want to check your cam timing and for good measure make sure your timing belt is right as well. Why was it you had to replace valves?
Old 04-04-2011, 07:57 AM

Originally Posted by HotBlue02
Well from what you said you may want to check your cam timing and for good measure make sure your timing belt is right as well. Why was it you had to replace valves?

Two of the intake valves weren't closing properly when the head gasket was being fixed. When they were taken out they were slightly warped (guess like an S, but not that extreme. I mean no other componants with the valves got damaged. The valve didn't even scrap the inside wall. As for how it happened I don't know. The car ran fine going into my buddy's place, and besides the misfires and lack of power, and check engine light, the car runs. Even the pistons didn't have any gouges. They were and are as smooth as should be.
Old 04-04-2011, 08:03 AM

Can I still reuse the valve cover gasket even if it were put down with sealer?

Also

Does any one know were the fuel pressure regulator is on the accent? Also when the fan is on I get the smell of gas in the car. Does this mean that its an exhaust leak? Could it come from elsewhere? The injectors and fuel line don't look to be leaking.