HELP Forum Car won't start, Spark Plug Melted? Car throwing sparks down as you drive down the road? Ask your car questions here.

Could it be a lemon?

Old 10-15-2001, 02:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Could it be a lemon?

Somebody please tell me if they have had any of these problems, i would mak me feel alot better. 1. After driving my car whether it is a 5 min distance of a 5 hour distance I hear this pinging sound coming from my gas tank everytime my car comes to a stop sign od a light. 2. In the mornings after I let her warm up I hear like a raddle coming from my engine, it only happens when I have my foot on the brake, as soon as I put my foot on the gas it stops, but once it goes back to the brake I hear it again 3. Last but not least my car is still driving funny, when I try to accelorate she hesitates, it's gotten to the point where it has happened twice in the same five minutes, I'll push the gas pedal as far down as I can and she doesn't accelorate and then sudenly she takes off. Last week my check engine light came on for a day and then went off so I'm hoping it kept somethin so the Hyundai dealership can finally figure out what is wrong ( I've been there 2 alread and they say there is no problem ) SORRY to ramble but all this stuff is really startin to piss me off.
Any help is much appreciated
Tricia smile.gif smile.gif
Old 10-15-2001, 03:52 AM

I'm not sure what the problem is, but I think you have one. sad.gif I don't have any of those things with my tibby and I haven't heard anyone complain of this either. sad.gif
Old 10-15-2001, 08:48 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

The noise from the gas tank is the evap system reclaming and pressurising the gas tank. It should go away after the first 5 minutes max. If it does not, your evap system should be looked at.

Rattle problem.
If you leave it in neutral with e-brake up or in park, does the rattle happen, or does the rattle only happen when the brake is depressed? If it only happens when the brake is depressed, have the dealership look at it. If it happens anytime you are not on the gas, something is loose at rattling at idle, it could be just about anything, but check the hood prop, and the throttle cable. Those are the 2 most likely culprits. If it is not one of them. Have the dealership check it out. One of the mechanics under the hood should be able to find the noise quickly if you are in the car with your foot on the brake.

Hesitation before accelerating
You have an auto transmission. Is the engine reving and the auto tranny not engaging? or is the the engine just hesitating before accelerating? If it is the engine, does the engine "bog" (a low Moaning sound) before it acceleratates, or does the engine knock or ping before accelerating or ?????

If the CEL came on, the dealership should be able to pull the error code off the ECU and hopefully that will give them some direction.
Old 10-15-2001, 10:26 PM

As far as the accelerating part goes, it makes that moaning sound before it finnally takes off, and then it shots you like a rocket when it goes, it's a little bit scary cause it's hard to control, if i'm comming on to a mojor road from an exit it will deciede not to go and just when I get to the yeild sign at the end it will take off and throw me into traffic
Old 10-16-2001, 12:47 AM

if i'm comming on to a mojor road from an exit it will deciede not to go and just when I get to the yeild sign at the end it will take off and throw me into traffic

Yeah.....that wouldn't be fun in this goofy Jersey Traffic. =-)
Old 10-16-2001, 12:49 AM

I had that problem. Took it to the dealer and it was the TPS sensor..might want to have it looked at
Old 10-17-2001, 09:52 AM

Sounds like the coil packs... did the light flash at you when it turned on? Usually, a coil pack problem will cause the light to flash.

If the light went out right away it's possible it got erased from the computer's memory. sad.gif
Old 10-17-2001, 12:41 PM

Originally posted by Ropeman100:
I had that problem. Took it to the dealer and it was the TPS sensor..might want to have it looked at

how much was that. the TPS sensor?
Old 10-17-2001, 01:29 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

Originally posted by ICE3X:
how much was that. the TPS sensor?

TPS sensor is about $45 bucks from www.stcharlesauto.com