HELP Forum Car won't start, Spark Plug Melted? Car throwing sparks down as you drive down the road? Ask your car questions here.

Car Cranks but No Start

Old 01-30-2011, 09:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 1998/Hyundai/Tiburon FX Turbo
Default Car Cranks but No Start

Hi Guys seems like I'm getting one problem after another, last night my car won't start it cranks but doesn't start. I been noticing lately that my car takes a bit longer to start, I’m not sure if it’s because of my Turbo Timer but seems like after my turbo timer install it takes a bit longer to crank the engine. I had 2 codes thrown that I erased P0506 and P0336, Cel is back on again couple days ago probably same code last time, I don't have my OBDII scanner with me at the moment but I'll get it check tomorrow. Also I'm not sure if its coincidence but when I tried to connect my computer to the FIC to check if the calibration got reset the computer can't detect the FIC.

I’m planning to remove CKP and see if it’s dirty but don't know what else I should check, I know that I haven’t replace my ignition coil when I did my tune up last year that might need change, I just put in fresh new plugs last week.
Old 01-30-2011, 12:18 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

Coils go bad only rarely. If it's been taking longer to start it could mean a tired battery. Take your battery and alternator to an auto parts store to be tested, even if you get the car started.

P0506 Idle speed control (ISC) system •?? rpm lower than expected Wiring, ISC acutator/IAC valve, throttle motor, throttle valve tight/sticking, ECM

P0336 Crankshaft position (CKP) sensor •?? range/performance problem Insecure sensor/rotor, air gap, wiring, CKP sensor

That's two votes for wiring. Give the wiring harness a close inspection and undo/reseat all the connectors.
Old 01-30-2011, 12:58 PM

Vehicle: 13 Gen Coupe Ult.

CKP, they may have your crank sensor wired up worng for the fic. Make sure they chose the right way to wire it, remeber there are two types of CKP sensor one is Hall on is Mag, and you intercept it diffrently depending on how it picks up signal!
Old 01-30-2011, 01:49 PM

Battery is new just bought it couple months ago, About the wiring of the CKP the car was working fine since the FIC was installed only problem was the MAF, was idling rough because 2 of the wires were swapped. Alternator was replaced by the former owner about a year ago. The car is not been use too much so I'm not sure if battery is charged enough cause I only drive once a week and drive like a mile or two. I'll try to get it jump tonight and see what happens. I removed my FIC cause til now I still cant connect to it, damn looks like my FIC might be bad another $350? I'm going to bypass the FIC tomorrow night.
Old 01-31-2011, 08:13 AM
Super Moderator

Vehicle: 2001 hyundai tiburon

doubt the FIC is 'bad'.. but i would bet that the wiring IS bad for the FIC.. by bad, i mean wired bad.

I would do the following steps:

1. Check the CKP sensor itself and that the wiring to the sensor is plugged in.. If the O-ring on the sensor is somehow torn, fluids will be able to leak by, causing the sensor to malfunction.

2. Jump the car, see if it starts, just cause the battery is new, doesn't mean squat if something is draining it when its off.

3. Have the alternator checked if jumping the car works, but the car dies soon after or won't start the next day.
Old 01-31-2011, 10:38 AM

Jumped the car last night no luck, wirings looks ok still havent check the CKP Sensor its a hard reach back in the manifold. I'll be off tonight so I will be able to check it better.