HELP Forum Car won't start, Spark Plug Melted? Car throwing sparks down as you drive down the road? Ask your car questions here.

Beta Swap- engine from Australia

Old 11-15-2002, 08:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Beta Swap- engine from Australia

I know that different countries have different rules that apply to the amount and quality of emissions that an engine can emit. I don't know which countries are the most leanient, and which are the most strict {probably North American}.

HVE's Website If you click on the product catalogue button on the left, and click the 2000+ Accent, then scroll down you can see the 2L swap for $5000. I was wandering if anyone knows whether or not an Australian motor would be less 'restricted' and therefore require less work to gain more power.
Old 11-15-2002, 09:14 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

that price is for the FULL SWAP. ie...they remove your motor and install a beta for you.

The "motor" is no different, but the ECU and air metering devices it uses would be different.

Canada uses MAF sensors and MAF sensor ECU's like all north american Hyundais (except the new ones).

Austraulia uses MAP sensor and MAP sensor ECU's.

You would have to either ship your entire car to HVE, have them do the swap, and ship it back...or have them ship the engine, motor mounts and wiring harncesses nessary, along with instructions. I know HVE does NOT part with their instructions...so you would be on your own when it comes to the install..if they would even be willing to ship you the mounts/parts you need.

[ November 15, 2002, 04:15 PM: Message edited by: Random ]
Old 11-15-2002, 10:48 PM

What's the difference between a MAP {Mass Air P____} sensor and a MAF {Mass Air Flow} sensor?
I should know this already... unfortunately I don't.
Old 11-16-2002, 08:23 AM

Vehicle: 2003 Accent

Around four months ago I made numerous attempts to contact HVE on doing this. I only requested the new motor mounts and wiring. They never responded. Then I tried asking about sending everything over here. They responded with telling me that they WILL NOT do anything unless you live in Aus. No engine transplant kits are being sold for over here. Maybe we just need someone with a little more power to talk to them?
Old 11-16-2002, 05:10 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

MAP = Manifold Absolute Pressure
MAF = Mass Air Flow

MAP measures pressure...MAF measures volume, and to a certian extent, density (with help from an intake temp sensor)

Each has their advantages and disadvantages.

Kore is working on a beta swap kit for accents. Maybe you guys should bug KORE for an update. tongue.gif
Old 11-16-2002, 09:52 PM

Beta swaps are very common in Korea and if I have heard correctly there are some running around in this country. I am planning on doing this swap also into my 2002 accent at some point. I am very interested in info and have been scouring for info but the only people that are willing to give any info are on Korean sites and I do not speak Korean.
Old 11-17-2002, 02:36 AM

Get a hold of RUDY from KORE
I believe he's got the swap done
Old 11-17-2002, 12:11 PM
QS

KORE doesn't give updates, Rudy has the swap done on the X3 Accent, there are a few people running around w/swaps...
None I dont think are LC accents though.
Hopefully some time within the next 5 years there will be a company in the states that does it.
Old 11-17-2002, 03:21 PM

Vehicle: 1997 accent L

KORE hasnt finalized their X3 kits yet, hence the lack of updates. If there was something to update an update would be given.
Old 11-20-2002, 05:39 AM

In the meantime we can enjoy pics like these!!

EDIT: Removed Ungodly long URL that didn't work
email the photos to photos@hyundaiaftermarket.com and I'll post them up

[ November 20, 2002, 12:42 PM: Message edited by: Random ]