HELP Forum Car won't start, Spark Plug Melted? Car throwing sparks down as you drive down the road? Ask your car questions here.

beta swap Died? Help!!!!!

Old 04-19-2009, 05:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2003 elantra, Soon to be beta swapped 01 lc hatch
Default beta swap Died? Help!!!!!

Okay I've had a few issues while doing my swap. I figured out I had my iac sensor and crank sensor hooked up wrong. Had codes from them. resoldered them problem fixed maybe?

Now the big problem

I was driving normally not heavy into the pedal. I'm driving and about a mile away from home the CEL started blinking. It didn't spit sputter or act like anything was wrong but I decided to turn around and get the jeep for safety's sake. I get to a safe turnaround spot about another half a mile down the road and when I pushed the clutch in to down shift it shut off. I coasted to the pull off and sat there for a minute. It wouldn't start it turns over and over and over but it won't start. I know the blinker CEL means it's a misfire. That was yesterday.

So today I decided I was going to attempt to figure this out. I wasn't getting any spark at the plugs. I am getting power at the coil connectors on the harness side but I have no spark at the damn plugs. I pull the starter and the top ear is broken. So I go geta warranty replacement under the assumption that if the starter ground isn't working properly that I would have no spark to start the car. I bring it home and hook it up and try to start it it cranks and cranks but it's grinding and screeching like crazy! and it still will not start. I'm not sure if the starter is in need of shims or something. what if the broken peice of the starter fell into the bellhousing ???? Is it going to f*ck up my trans? Clutch/flywheel? Is there a way to check inside of it with out taking the trans loose from the motor? FML
Old 04-19-2009, 05:57 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: Two Accents, Mini, Miata, Van, Outback, and a ZX-6

If it's grinding and screetching like crazy I would take the starter back and at least make them bench test it. It sounds like an issue with the starter to me considering what the situation is. It's common to have starters and alternators that are defective right out of the box so I always have them bench test the new one for me before I leave the store with it.

As far as getting the top ear out of the bellhousing it's aluminum right? If it happens to be steel you might be able to use a magnetic pick-up device through the starter opening. If it's aluminum I think you'll have to take out the bellhousing bolts and spread the trans and block a little bit to look up inside. I think the biggest concern would be breaking teeth off of your flywheel if the piece is in there.

As far as not starting, since you had issues with the crank sensor that's where I would look first. If the sensor is bad (or wired wrong) that will prevent the ECU from firing the coils so you have no spark.
Old 04-19-2009, 06:10 PM

Vehicle: 2003 elantra, Soon to be beta swapped 01 lc hatch

the cam position sensor was what I was having a code for. I've had the Battery disconnected the whole time as I figure it can reset the ecu and atleast let it start. Is it possible that the misfiring killed the coils???
Old 04-19-2009, 07:37 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: Two Accents, Mini, Miata, Van, Outback, and a ZX-6

I personally was stranded overnight in a Jack in the Box parking lot in a VERY bad part of town because of a failed CKP. (Camshaft Position Sensor). Even more of a first place to look now.

OMFG that was probably the scariest night I've ever spent anywhere. Almost had to shoot some people that were walking around my car trying to decide what to do with it and me. Little did they know I had a loaded pistol in each hand under my coat ready to shoot the first two if they tried anything and the other four shortly after. Luckily for everyone they decided to get into their Escalade and leave me alone.
Old 04-19-2009, 08:16 PM

Vehicle: 2016 Tucson Sport AWD

QUOTE(187sks @ Apr 19 2009, 09:37 PM)
I personally was stranded overnight in a Jack in the Box parking lot in a VERY bad part of town because of a failed CKP. (Camshaft Position Sensor). Even more of a first place to look now.

OMFG that was probably the scariest night I've ever spent anywhere. Almost had to shoot some people that were walking around my car trying to decide what to do with it and me. Little did they know I had a loaded pistol in each hand under my coat ready to shoot the first two if they tried anything and the other four shortly after. Luckily for everyone they decided to get into their Escalade and leave me alone.

i could only imagine.....
Old 04-19-2009, 09:56 PM

Vehicle: 2002 Accent 2.0L

You know that funnies that you have that issues. I might have the same problem. Every now and then my cel flashes at me, but the car runs fine. Then the other day it would turn over but not start.

Sounds like we may have the same issue. I am currently installing my AEM FIC so i will check for loose connections and SH*T like that. Let me know if ya find something.