HELP Forum Car won't start, Spark Plug Melted? Car throwing sparks down as you drive down the road? Ask your car questions here.

Back Brakes

Old 02-19-2003, 05:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Back Brakes

I have a 98 tib and my rear driver side brake has seized up. the pads are almost worn away and that side but the passenger side is like new. someone told me that i could free up the slide be lubricating it and it would work like new, he also said that the rear caliper takes a special tool to compress it and it can be a real pain to do. i have replaced brakes many times on different vehicles but have never had to have any special tools. is their anything i should know about doing the back brakes before i attempt to change them myself? anyone have a service book that details the steps? Thanks
Old 02-19-2003, 06:24 AM

Vehicle: 2K Tib

The rear caliper has to be twisted to be compressed, I didn't have the approved "special tool" so I used a pair of 4" needle nose pliars.

The only other tip I have to share is that sometimes it helps when removing a seized caliper to loosen the bleed valve.

My personal expirience has been its better to replace a caliper once it has siezed. Just my expirience though, don't think you have to replace it.
Old 02-19-2003, 07:03 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

If your caliper has siezed, you're better off to replace it. Find one in a local junkyard, or get one from your local dealer.

The special tool they are refering to "spins" the pistion as it compresses it. You can do this yourself with a C-Clamp and a pair of pliers.

However, as Blue2000 said..if it's siezed..you're better off replacing it.
Old 02-19-2003, 07:06 AM

Funny... my rear driver's side froze up too. I ended up replacing the entire caliper rather than do a rebuild.

There are two poles that the brake caliper can slide left and right on as you apply the brakes. I found they were frozen along with both of the front brake calipers.

Pulling those slides out and cleaning andd regreasing them is something Hyundai should list as required maintenance. Once they freeze up only one brake pad is left to do the work. There was probably barely any grease in there from the factory.

My fronts were so bad I had to beat them out with a hammer so I could derust them and apply new grease. When you're putting it back together test the slides to make sure they slide nice and smooth.
Old 02-19-2003, 11:13 AM

Thanks everyone, i think i'll just buy the new caliper so it doesn't happen again.