HELP Forum Car won't start, Spark Plug Melted? Car throwing sparks down as you drive down the road? Ask your car questions here.

Adjustments Needed for "New" Parts

Old 12-04-2011, 10:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 1998 Tiburon
Default Adjustments Needed for "New" Parts

Hey guys, fired in a RSide bbtb and shorty shifter combo this morning and the car is back up and running well. I need to make some small adjustments however to really get his right. First off the butterfly on the bbtb is sticking every now and again. I cleaned it very well before install but noticed it was rather tough to twist. Is there some sort of adjustment for it? Any particular spot for some lube perhaps?

Next the shifter is great but feels rather sloppy when moving laterally, I have noticed the back portion ( closer to the dash on the shaft) is moving some. The spring side seems adequate and I believe the nut to be at proper torque, but some thing is not compressing the shifter to stay in place it seems.

Any advice appreciated, gonna dive into some threads now for ideas.

Thanks all,
Old 12-04-2011, 10:55 AM

Vehicle: 2000 hyundai tiburon

i too have that throtle body and haven't had that issue w/ it. i do know the outsides are known to have the "chrome" plating come off of them-... i hope that isn't the case for the interior of the tb. i'd lube the shaft of the tb, check the throttle cable line @ the throtle rotor and the pedal as something may have come loose during install. the only adjustment on it that i know of is the idle adjustment bolt. i'd give all the vacuum lines a once over aswell. and be sure the throtle cable is closest to the tb itself.

as for the shifter-...

i had that same shifter, i later copied the design (to an extent) to make my own and sold the rside-... i noticed the biggest porblem w/ the rside was that no matter what gear it was in it always seemed to return to the centre of the shifter bezel. the ball and socket pivot at the bottom of the shifter is the culprit to blame for that. you may have noticed that the stock shifter had a bit of a different design where it resembled a men's restroom logo (bust portion)-... the 2dimension design on the stock shifter allows less movement for the shifter, where as the 3d ball and socket is constantly fighting against the force of the spring thus sending it to the centre of the bezel. and not to mention the diameter of the shaft is a wee bit to thick causing it to hit @ 11 o' clock when in first gear-... not a big issue but you'll probably wear a smale hole through you shift boot there over time.

not the best piece rside ever made-...
Old 12-05-2011, 01:12 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: Two Accents, Mini, Miata, Van, Outback, and a ZX-6

I've been fighting the Accent version of their BBTB ever since installing it. I fixed *most* of the issues by tightening the nut holding the throttle pulley to the shaft with the butterfly on it and adding a bit of lithium grease to the shaft. I also adjusted the idle control bolt to allow for a slightly quicker idle which helped prevent the butterfly from sticking closed. I tried some other things, I currently have the throttle return spring wound one extra turn so the pedal requires quite a bit of force to push, but mine was occasionally sticking open as well and it fixed that.
Old 12-05-2011, 02:00 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Hyundai Tiburon

Yeouch, makes me glad I'm doing an LS tbody swap...
Old 12-07-2011, 03:30 PM

Vehicle: 1998 Tiburon

Hmmm got the shifter fixed...helps when you transfer all the bushings The throttle body sticks open and shut awkwardly and causes a very firm throttle pedal. I'll look into some of these adjustments.

Thanks guys