HELP Forum Car won't start, Spark Plug Melted? Car throwing sparks down as you drive down the road? Ask your car questions here.

aceleration and a 5th gear switch?

Old 04-04-2003, 05:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default aceleration and a 5th gear switch?

I have a 99 Hyundai accent, with only 44k miles on it I bought it second hand and it idles nice runs good and has a manual 5 speed transmission. When I want to accelerate fast through the gears it seems to have a half way spot that feels sluggish and yet when I punch it to the floor it picks up and then acts normal is this flat spot due to the pollution devices and you have to live with it? second question on some of the manual Hyundai trannys there is a 5th gear switch on the tranny,What does it do?
Old 04-05-2003, 04:32 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

You've already asked about the 5th gear switch here:
http://www.hyundaiaftermarket.com/noncgi/u...c;f=40;t=000113

Please don't ask the same question in multiple threads.

In regards to your performance/acceleration problem. I don't understand your question. What specifically is the problem? No, your car won't accelerate as fast at half throttle as it does as at full throttle.

[ April 06, 2003, 12:34 AM: Message edited by: Random ]
Old 04-05-2003, 05:12 PM

What I mean is that when you have the accelerator about half way down and push it a little more down it doesn't respond at that point like it should, it has a flat spot or is bogging down,almost like if you back off on the accelerator just a small amount it then picks up a little speed however after that halfway point pushing further down and then even more its response is very good. If you dont understand maybe it would be like if you had and older carburator car and had a bad the accelerator pump.
Old 04-06-2003, 01:31 AM

are you saying that halfway through the pedal stroke there is a "dead" point? like no acceleration happens when you're holding the pedal at that point? but if you back off a little, you accelerate? and if you push the pedal past that point, it also accelerates? dunno it might be your tps.

[ April 06, 2003, 09:33 AM: Message edited by: turbulence ]
Old 04-06-2003, 03:51 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

Okay, I understand the carb reference.

For everyone else. You're accelerating from a stop light. Just "normal" acceleration. The throttle pedal is about halfway down. You give it a bit more to the gas pedal, but the car actually slows down and "bogs" rather than accelerating that tad bit more. Up to half throttle, the throttle response is linear. 1/8 throttle is little accelearation, 1/4 throttle is more acceleration, half is even more, but everything from half on bogs the engine untill you get to full throttle, then the engine takes off and accelerates like full throttle should.

Since he bought the accent 2nd hand, he doesn't have a warranty.

I would start with the basics. Plugs, wires and coilpacks. At night, park the car in a very dark area as far away from light sources as possible. Pop the hood and rev the engine using the throttle body. Look at the spark plug wires and coil packs. Look for "flashes" of lite similar to a strobe light. If you see them, try to determine if they originate from the coil pack itself, or the plug wire itself.

If both the plugs, and coilpack pass the "flash" test, pull your spark plugs and examine them. If they are the stock "champion" brand, regardless of condition, you should consider replacing them with NGK V-Power plugs. (about $1 each).

If the plugs test out fine, now we've got to look into "harder" stuff. How many miles are on the car? Was it in good condition when yu purchased it?