HELP Forum Car won't start, Spark Plug Melted? Car throwing sparks down as you drive down the road? Ask your car questions here.

2004 Sana Fe Fuel Tank replacemetn

Old 02-13-2014, 11:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2004 santa fe
Default 2004 Sana Fe Fuel Tank replacemetn

Hello, I searched and cant find information on replaceing the fuel tank on my 2004 Santa Fe 2.7L. A shop near my wants $1500 and I cant help but think Im able to do this! Has anybody dont this before? Write up? things to watch out for? I read that when it does come out, I hsould drill a few holes in the shield on the bottom to prevent the tank from rusting and allow water to drain out. True?

thanks!
Old 02-14-2014, 12:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 1997 RD 4-door

you will probably have to use plastic ramps to lift your vehicle higher to get better access to the fuel tank.

first thing i'd recommend is do this on a nearly empty gas tank, less time draining $$ gas and less spill and smell and less hassle wrestling with a tank full of gas,

remove the fuel sender unit on the left back of the tank, then the vent & check valves on the right side next to it, make sure you disconnect the electrical connector on the FSU when removing it.

after that, remove the bolts on the straps that secure the fuel tank to the chassis, it's probably a good idea to apply a thin coat of anti seize on the bolts of the strap to reduce chance of a rusted bolt in the future,

once you transferred the necessary components to the new tank, install is reverse of removal.

as for the other question, if it doesn't show rust, don't make holes..