Health, Body, & Wellness Got questions about your health or an ailment? Maybe just looking to figure out what nutrition program is right for you? Ask away in here, as Hyundai Aftermarket's resident medical advisor answers your questions.
For more info, please go to http://www.dcberk.com

Whats the withdrawl like when quitting cigs?

Old 09-22-2010, 08:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 1999 Accent
Default Whats the withdrawl like when quitting cigs?

Been a smoker for almost 5 years and Ive decided that I want to quit but Im curious as to how bad the withdrawal and cravings are when you go through it. I know theres the gum and the patches and other things you can do to help quit but every single person I have talked to said that it can get pretty bad sometimes. Im a strong person but I fear that this may kick my ass because Im so dependent on smoking now. Anyone have any advice or can you explain what withdrawal symptoms can be like?
Old 09-22-2010, 12:16 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=w...G=Search+Google

It sucks which is why the weak-willed individual will relapse. This is the same as the answer to "what is it like when you stop eating so much you weigh 2x your optimal weight?"

Question 1: How do you stop smoking?
Answer: You stop smoking.

Question 2: It really really sucks! is there anything I can do?
Answer: See answer to question 1

ETA: buy a bunch of cheap pens that will deform instead of shattering when you chew on them, and chew on them to keep your fingers and mouth busy.
http://www.google.com/images?num=100&h...440&bih=867
Old 09-22-2010, 03:06 PM

Vehicle: 2001 hyundai tiburon

^^^ sounds like typical nonsmoker reaction there, blah.

you can try patches.i felt less of a craving for a cig but i had to stop using them because i would get a major rash under the patch. lozenges are a joke and leave your mouth very dry or they did in my case. felt like i was sucking on a tums all day.

chantix worked a little on me. during the first prescription of the 3 i think you get i went down from a pack a day to 1/2 pack but i felt short of cash and never redone my prescription.

it definitely has to be YOUR choice, no one elses. my excuse (everyone has one) is the shop i work in over 75% of the employees smoke. I never get away from it. if i go home say for a weekend to my mom's, i will possibly have one all weekend long.

I am a weird smoker. i don't smoke in my car, the gf's car, or the house. i do smoke in my truck but it is a work truck,lol. when we go to eat out i prefer nonsmoking seating. if we do go out on a night on the town i will not smoke the entire evening.

a non smoker can look at you and just say,"quit you idiot" but we both know it isn't that easy. my grandpa quit sucking on peppermints and chewing the hell out of 1/4" dowel rod he cut in 3" pieces.

for withdrawals it varies from person to person. you loved ones will notice you are a bit crank or crankier than normal. you will sleep more than you normally do. finally, eating increases which is what most people go back to smoking so they can control their weight.
Old 09-22-2010, 09:46 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Veloster DCT w/ Tech

Screw all the stop smoking gimmicks and other available BS. You will only quit if that's what YOU really want. I tried everything available for years, and when it came down to it, it was just the fact that I really needed myself behind it to really want to quit. Almost been 4 years now since I lit up, and I feel great!

As for withdrawls, everyone has a different experience. The urge to stop at every store you pass, sweating, nervousness, restless sleep, night terrors.............it goes on and on. You may have some, you may have none.
Old 09-22-2010, 10:07 PM
Super Moderator

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (UrS0NvS @ Sep 22 2010, 04:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>typical can't-means-won't smoker reaction, blah laugh.gif</div>

Non-smoker NOW, sure. I quit cold turkey after 2 years, many years ago. I chewed up writing utensils for a while.

One of the guys where I work quit a few months ago, also cold turkey. It sucked for him for about 2 weeks, then he was good. You can stand on your head for 2 weeks, stop smoking already.
Old 09-22-2010, 10:25 PM

lol stories like these make me wonder why this is legal....and weed isnt
Old 09-23-2010, 06:26 PM
Super Moderator

Because not everyone everywhere can grow tobacco, limiting supply to an easily-taxable few corporate farms?

Old 09-23-2010, 06:42 PM
DTN

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

I've smoked for 15 Years. Every time I quit I keep asking myself why I quit. Then I start again. It's not too expensive and it gives me a few minutes of pleasure. I want to quit but I can't. I keep trying or say today is the day... Then I go 4 Hours and start back up. It gives mr an excuse to get outside and to take a break. I hate it.
Old 09-23-2010, 08:54 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Veloster DCT w/ Tech

Not to expensive!? Maybe where you are. Cigs are $8 a pack here, and I used to smoke 1 1/2 packs a day. Certainly isn't cheap by any means!
Old 09-23-2010, 10:08 PM

realize dtn thinks hes the richest, smartest, most powerful person on ha.org

so even if hes paying 3000 a year for cigs

thats pocket change to him