Health, Body, & Wellness Got questions about your health or an ailment? Maybe just looking to figure out what nutrition program is right for you? Ask away in here, as Hyundai Aftermarket's resident medical advisor answers your questions.
For more info, please go to http://www.dcberk.com

Whats a good time to run a mile?

Old 09-07-2010, 01:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Tiburon
Default Whats a good time to run a mile?

I just started running last week to try and help shed a few pounds. I have never ran in my life, so this hasnt been a fun experience, but I can see myself improving each day I have done it so far. I ran a mile in 8 min. 49 sec.

Is that good or bad? I dont really know what the baseline is for the average person, but I just want to keep improving on my time and see how low I can get it. The goal is to get the time down some and then start going for distance. First one mile and when I can do that with no issues go for 2 and then 3 and so on. One day maybe I'll be able to run in a marathon or something. smile.gif
Old 09-07-2010, 01:32 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 01 Tiburon Turbo, 99 Tiburon F2E, 2013 Avalon XLE Touring

I ran the mile in 5:15 my senior year of high school. I think pro runners are doing it in 3:something.
I remember most guys were doing it in 6's, and the girls were in the 8's. But we were in sports.

Your first time is probably always gonna be your slowest time by far. Try again and you'll see improvements.
Old 09-07-2010, 01:33 PM
Administrator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

I would say that's great for someone who's never run a mile. I would suggest using your time as a benchmark rather than "what's good" or normal. Follow your improvements over the next 6-10 weeks and you should see an immense increase in the time and your physical ability to run a mile (breathing, soreness, exertion, etc).

For 30 years old, that's good. If you were a senior in high school, I'd tell you to get it closer to 7 minutes

I think the normal person can walk a mile in 12 minutes if that helps.
Old 09-07-2010, 02:04 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

8:49 is decent. The local police have to be able to pull 1.5 miles off in 15 minutes. IIRC that was the standard when I was on active duty in the Navy as well.

P.S. running SUCKS.
Old 09-07-2010, 02:23 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 01 Tiburon Turbo, 99 Tiburon F2E, 2013 Avalon XLE Touring

If this is your first time, make sure you buy a NICE pair of running shoes. And try to not run on pavement. It can cause all sorts of injuries.
I tried running in actual "Tennis" shoes and pain throughout my lower legs. Go figure. lol