Health, Body, & Wellness Got questions about your health or an ailment? Maybe just looking to figure out what nutrition program is right for you? Ask away in here, as Hyundai Aftermarket's resident medical advisor answers your questions.
For more info, please go to http://www.dcberk.com

A warning about protein powders from Consumer Reports

Old 06-15-2010, 11:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra
Default A warning about protein powders from Consumer Reports

Figured I would share it with you bros

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>With bottles of some protein drinks displayed near the grocery checkout or lined up next to the soft drinks at your local convenience store, it’s clear that they have gone mainstream. The products, sold as ready-to-drink liquids or powders that you mix into shakes, are being touted by some dietary supplement makers as a scientifically proven way to build muscles, shed unwanted pounds, get a quick energy jolt or even fight aging.

Though the promises are enticing, know the facts before you reach for what one sports nutrition expert describes as “hope in a can.” Our recent investigation—including tests at an outside laboratory of 15 protein drinks, a review of government documents and interviews with health and fitness experts—found that most people already get enough protein, and some of the drinks can pose health risks, including exposure to potentially harmful heavy metals if consumed frequently.
All of the drinks in our tests had at least one sample containing one or more of these contaminants: arsenic, cadmium, lead and mercury. For most drinks we tested, levels were in the low to moderate range, when we could detect them. But with three of the products we tested, consumers who have three servings daily could be exposed to levels of one or two of these contaminants that exceed the maximum limits proposed by U.S. Pharmacopeia, the federally recognized authority that sets voluntary standards to cover dietary supplements.

Unfortunately, federal regulations do not generally require that protein drinks and other dietary supplements be tested before they are sold to ensure that they are safe, effective and free of contaminants. A just-released report on herbal dietary supplements conducted by the U.S. Government Accountability Office found that nearly all of the supplements it tested contained trace amounts of lead. Other heavy metals were also found in many products

The results of the GAO investigation were announced at a May 26 Senate hearing that examined concerns about the safety of such supplements and the misleading marketing and advertising used to sell them. According to the hearing’s official press release, at least 40 percent of American adults take dietary supplements. What’s more, a 2005 study found that protein powders and shakes were the supplements most commonly used by those aged 12 to 18.
Chuck Bell, of Consumers Union, testifying at the hearing, said, “Unfortunately, in our research and reporting, we have found some very profound and troubling gaps in the system we have today to assure supplement safety.”

“Consumers Union is concerned that the FDA is not providing adequate oversight of supplement contamination problems. We need to assure consumers that dietary supplements are consistently low in heavy metals and other forms of chemical or mineral contamination, and we should have zero tolerance for prescription drug contamination,” he said.

Bell further testified that, “At a minimum, we believe that products should not exceed U.S. Pharmacopoeia limits for lead and other heavy metals. Because consumers do not expect to encounter heavy metal contamination in supplements, and many consumers may take multiple supplements or multiple doses of supplements, additional oversight may be needed to reduce hazards and warn consumers about unexpected health risks.”

—Andrea Rock</div>

Profiles found here:

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>Here's the results of their tests (in 3 servings):

BSN-

Lean Dessert Protein Chocolate Fudge
Arsenic 3.3 ug
Cadmium 3.7 ug
Lead 2.5 ug
Mercury 0.3 ug

Syntha-6 Chocolate Milkshake
Arsenic 4.2 ug
Cadmium 2.6 ug
Lead 5.4 ug
Mercury 1.1 ug

Designer Whey-

100% whey protein Chocolate
Arsenic 3.9 ug
Cadmium 1.6 ug
Lead 2.4 ug
Mercury 0.9 ug

EAS-

Myoplex Original Rich Dark Chocolate Shake
Arsenic [b]16.9 ug[b]
Cadmium 5.1 ug

GNC-

Lean Shake Chocolate
Arsenic 7.0 ug
Cadmium 3.9 ug
Lead 4.9ug

Pro Performance AMP Amplified Wheybolic Extreme 60 Chocolate
Arsenic 5.4 ug
Cadmium 2.5 ug
Lead 2.5 ug

Jillian Michaels-

Natural Whey Protein Vanilla Cream Shake
Arsenic 1.9 ug
Lead 1.2 ug

Cytosport-

Muscle Milk Chocolate
Arsenic 12.2 ug
Cadmium 5.6 ug
Lead 13.5 ug
Mercury 0.7 ug

Muscle Milk Chocolate RTD
Arsenic 14.3 ug
Lead 6.8 ug

Muscle Milk Vanilla Creme
Arsenic 11.2 ug
Cadmium 2.0 ug
Lead 12.2 ug

Muscle Tech-

Nitro-Tech Hardcore Pro-Series Vanilla Milkshake
Arsenic 1.2 ug
Lead 0.4 ug
Mercury 0.9 ug

Optimum Nutrition-

Gold Standard 100% Whey Extreme Milk Chocolate
Arsenic 2.5 ug
Cadmium 1.7 ug
Lead 1.0 ug
Mercury 0.2 ug

Platinum Hydro Whey Velocity Vanilla
Arsenic 1.5 ug

Six Star-

Professional Strength Whey Protein French Vanilla Cream
Arsenic 2.3 ug

Solgar-

Whey to go Whey Protein Powder Natural Vanilla Bean
Arsenic 0.6 ug

Source: July 2010 issue of Consumer Reports</div>

Something to think about smile.gif
Old 06-15-2010, 04:45 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Vehicle: '14 Ford F-150

This is why I always tell people to buy mainstream brands at the grocery store and not "boutique" brands at the gym. Slim Fast is probably the safest out there.
Old 07-21-2010, 02:54 AM

Vehicle: 1999/Hyundai/Tiburon

Rats.. I gotta lay off the Muscle Milk
Old 07-21-2010, 07:18 AM

Vehicle: 12 second tib

Lol @ the microgram measurements. You can get 10 times that amount of lead eating a paint chip. I've been getting 300 grams of protein a day for 10 years, 100 or so usually coming from powders. I guess we'll see what happens. I use chocolate optimum nutrition 100% gold standard btw(#1supp the last 3 years)
Old 07-21-2010, 12:31 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

LOL @ people who buy protein drinks without needing them. Capitalism Great Success!
Old 07-21-2010, 01:48 PM

I don't eat a lot of meat because it upsets my stomach; I'm allergic to milk; I like vegetables but if you want the same amount of protein from vegetables compared to meats, you have to eat a lot and there's too many calories. That's why I drink Muscle Milk. It's lactose free and has everything I need.
Old 07-21-2010, 10:04 PM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Vehicle: 1999 Hyundai Tiburon

Come on you pansies, crack open 5 eggs each morning and down them "Sly" style. cool.gif

"Go get'em Rock!"
Old 07-22-2010, 05:31 PM

I actually saw this 2 days ago for the first time in my life. It's too bad our eggs in America nowadays are filled with crap, otherwise, we could do what Rocky did and drink 5 raw eggs. I've done this before with Organic eggs and they taste great!
Old 07-22-2010, 09:55 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

"some of us" have access to eggs that don't come from juvenile chickens stacked in rows where only the top row is given any feed . . . laugh.gif

If you buy grocery store eggs and can't eat hot dogs because of what's in them and how they're made, do yourself a favor and don't look into how mass-produced eggs are farmed.
Old 07-22-2010, 10:19 PM

^^ Too late. I've seen the show "Faces of Death". That turned me into a vegan for 2 months.