Health, Body, & Wellness Got questions about your health or an ailment? Maybe just looking to figure out what nutrition program is right for you? Ask away in here, as Hyundai Aftermarket's resident medical advisor answers your questions.
For more info, please go to http://www.dcberk.com

Are those fancy water bottles worth it?

Old 10-04-2010, 07:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 03 Tib GT V6
Default Are those fancy water bottles worth it?

I drink a lot of water when I go to the gym every day. I drink out of refilled plastic bottles. I'm not sure what to believe, but apparently the plastic leeches chemicals in to the water over time etc.

Are those fancy water bottles worth it? ie:
Old 10-04-2010, 07:57 AM
Administrator

Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

Hey Kat.
I don't use a fancy nalgene bottle. I used to refill plastic bottles all the time, but now I have a Bubba Keg that I keep on my desk at work and I refill the 64oz. Gatorade bottles for home.

I doubt that there's any significant amount of plastic coming from a reused water bottle. The more probable problem would be bacteria and germs recycling in the bottle, since you probably aren't able to wash them out.

If you are going to get a bottle, get one that you can throw in the dishwasher so the heat can make sure the bacteria is killed off. Avoid the thermal bottles, since those usually aren't dishwasher safe.

I hate the idea of paying $10 for an empty bottle. For that much, I expect a minimum content of 30% ABV.
Old 10-04-2010, 12:58 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

Bleach or alcohol rinses will kill what grows in the bottle BTW. If you're leaving a bottle in the sun for a couple years, or boiling the water over a camp fire or in the microwave, maybe worry about chemical leaching. If you're filling it with cold water for a couple of hours, don't sweat it. You'd have seen a recall for health reasons from all the bottles on store shelves for months at a time if it were really a problem.
Old 10-05-2010, 04:35 PM
Administrator

Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

2 for $10 http://www.woot.com/
26 oz. canteen