Health, Body, & Wellness Got questions about your health or an ailment? Maybe just looking to figure out what nutrition program is right for you? Ask away in here, as Hyundai Aftermarket's resident medical advisor answers your questions.
For more info, please go to http://www.dcberk.com

There are more implications of health than weight.

Old 04-29-2014, 04:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 1999 Accent GT
Default There are more implications of health than weight.

An obvious point, but why do people still fat shame? Somebody who is under weight is prone to health issues as well.

To refer back to the heading, I refer to the wellness model of health. I know people who have under 10% body fat but are always stressed about life and working out. Likewise, I know people who are overweight, but are happily married and have children.

Before I started exercising, I was around 190 lbs at 5'6. My friend and I had similar diets, and he didn't workout. We ate junk food, drank pop, didn't eat vegetables, etc. Yet he stayed skinny. Someone like him wouldn't get called unhealthy because he's skinny. Someone like me would get fat shamed and get told "you're just making excuses", while my friend gets free pass because he's naturally skinny.

Anyway....I just wanted to make this topic because I was watching some youtube video related to this.
Old 04-29-2014, 05:31 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: Two Accents, Mini, Miata, Van, Outback, and a ZX-6

It's life. It isn't fair. People will find reasons to harass other people. It's all about how you respond to it. Don't give anyone the power to make you feel like crap. I'm a big guy. I still have friends. I don't have any trouble getting women. I'm usually pretty happy. I'm active and eat better than the average person, although not exceptionally well. I've lost over 50 pounds so far but that's because I want to not because other people made me feel ashamed.
Old 04-30-2014, 09:22 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

Because there are very few things that tell the world as obviously as being fat, that you don't care about your body. Everybody knows how to get fat and how to be not-fat. It's like asking why people mock people playing russian roulette.
Old 05-04-2014, 04:04 PM

Vehicle: X3 Sprint, S-Coupe Turbo

I know people who have under 10% body fat but are always stressed about life and working out. Likewise, I know people who are overweight, but are happily married and have children.

So by your logic,

under 10% body fat = ought to be ashamed of themselves

over 10% body fat = happily married and have children

Being obese is an unhealthy lifestyle choice. Period. It's easy to insult someone for being fat because it's obvious, so it happens a lot. It's also hard for loved ones to ask fat people to stop making unhealthy choices, because fat people frequently get insulted for being fat.

This 'fat shaming' tagline needs to go. It's just an empty political noise by now.
Old 05-04-2014, 07:17 PM

Vehicle: MC + RD2 + AW11 + 944 = 4x Win

Why not just be comfortable with yourself?

Coming from the guy toning and losing weight for a costume

probably nsfw:

Spoiler

Old 05-04-2014, 08:29 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

lololololol

i have a gif of that somewhere i sent it to my professor anonymously the other day