Health, Body, & Wellness Got questions about your health or an ailment? Maybe just looking to figure out what nutrition program is right for you? Ask away in here, as Hyundai Aftermarket's resident medical advisor answers your questions.
For more info, please go to http://www.dcberk.com

Surrogate offered $10,000 to have abortion

Old 03-07-2013, 05:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Sonata
Default Surrogate offered $10,000 to have abortion

This situation became a mess.

Basically, a surrogate was offered $10,000 to have an abortion by the couple she was carrying for because the fetus had severe medical problems (the article said the baby would only have a 25% chance of living a normal life). However, due to religious reasons, the surrogate didn't want to, although she did offer to abort the baby for $15,000 dollars at one point.

This was a really messy situation and usually I would say that the surrogate mother has the final decision since she is carrying the baby and she is the one actually going through with the pregnancy. But this case is a bit different in that the surrogate mother clearly signed a contract saying that she would abort in the event of severe abnormalities. I think that since she signed a contract, it was her responsibility to live up to it.

I also think that the fact that she tried negotiating with the couple for a higher "price" gets rid of any moral high ground she thinks she had. On the other hand, I think it was pretty ridiculous how the couple decided that they wanted their name on the birth certificate after they had just asked her to have an abortion.

The moral of this story, IMO, is that women who are opposed to abortion probably should avoid being surrogates.
Old 03-07-2013, 06:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: X3 Sprint, S-Coupe Turbo

Oh my lordy lawd.

So she was opposed to abortion

Then considered doing it for 15k

Then left the state so the parents wouldn't put the kid up for adoption

Then put the kid up for adoption

She also got some welfare too

People are retarded and rush into contracts without reading the fine print. As for whether or not the baby should have been aborted... dunno. Havin a cyst on the brain can't be much fun.
Old 03-07-2013, 09:12 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

I don't think you can legally make a contract to murder somebody. If you consider abortion murder, you don't sign that contract. If you're 'merican you don't read it. The $15k was likely as not to have been mentioned in passing and blown out of proportion. That she fled the state and carried the child to term is admirable IMO. That she took welfare is not.

In any case, I think she owes the "parents" the $22k they are paid to get her pregnant.