Health, Body, & Wellness Got questions about your health or an ailment? Maybe just looking to figure out what nutrition program is right for you? Ask away in here, as Hyundai Aftermarket's resident medical advisor answers your questions.
For more info, please go to http://www.dcberk.com

Should everyone automatically be an organ donor?

Old 09-26-2013, 06:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: Gen Coupe 2.0 Track
Default Should everyone automatically be an organ donor?

Ok, here's the deal. A lot of people die because they had to wait too long for an organ transplant. Right now there aren't enough organ donors, so my idea was that everyone should automatically be an organ donor. However, if you should choose, for whatever reason, not to be an organ donor, than you can opt- out. This way all the people who don't mind that their organs are used to help people when they die, but are too lazy to sign up as an organ donor, are all donors, and people who really don't want to be an organ donor can still opt- out.

So, what does ot think? Good idea or bad idea?
Old 09-27-2013, 07:50 AM
Administrator

Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

The problem then becomes lawsuits flying because there was nothing showing the person opted out of organ donation and doctors harvested the organs. Who are you going to trust to change your option? If they put the wrong thing on your driver's license, how easy is it going to be to get that changed in "the system" and how do you make sure it's accurate?

I think there needs to be more awareness so people realize the good it can do. It should be the norm, not the exception.
Old 09-27-2013, 11:03 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Vehicle: '14 Ford F-150

Before '06, the US had "assumed consent", meaning unless you or your family refused consent, your organs could be donated. I think we should go back to that, but then I'm a bit biased as I myself have had a kidney transplant.
Old 09-27-2013, 01:36 PM
Administrator

Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

I would support that.
Old 09-28-2013, 04:10 AM

Vehicle: X3 Sprint, S-Coupe Turbo

I also agree with this. You can't be a libertarian about a corpse.
Old 09-30-2013, 08:49 AM

Vehicle: 2010/Hyundia/Genesis Coupe 2.0T Track

OP makes sense to me, I would be all for it. It wouldn't really be at that hard to convince me to vote that there should be no exception/right to refuse either. But I understand that being harder to pass....