Health, Body, & Wellness Got questions about your health or an ailment? Maybe just looking to figure out what nutrition program is right for you? Ask away in here, as Hyundai Aftermarket's resident medical advisor answers your questions.
For more info, please go to http://www.dcberk.com

My recent eye problems

Old 02-18-2011, 12:44 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: Two Accents, Mini, Miata, Van, Outback, and a ZX-6
Default My recent eye problems

So, Tuesday while at work my right eye went blurry, then shortly later I started having an intense shimmering in my 3 o'clock to 6 o'clock peripheral vision just in the right eye. I was concerned, but the shimmering went away after about 20 minutes so I didn't do anything about it. The next day I woke up and my right eye was still blurry. I was concerned so I bit the bullet and went in to an optometrist.

I hate going to any kind of doctor, this was no exception. After an extensive exam, he let me know what was up. I was having an ocular migraine. That's basically where the small arteries in the vision center of my brain contract and reduce blood flow to that area temporarily, causing my issues. In addition to that a portion of the muscle controlling my right eye's lens was spasming, that's why things were blurry.

On top of that, I also have astigmatism, ocular hypertension, and I am far sighted. I didn't know any of these things. I now have a prescription for glasses and I'm supposed to wear them all the time.

After all this, he wanted to dilate my pupils. After he did I was so blind that I couldn't have recognized someone's face. The Dr. said that's how my vision is naturally without my lens being pulled into a crazy shape to allow me to see reasonably well. I was pretty bummed out. What it really means is my vision has gotten far worse than it seems like it is, the lens muscle is just strong enough to compensate but I've more or less reached the limit of what I can compensate for.

I have always valued my vision...I'm not very happy to know that it's going downhill. Also not happy to know the ocular hypertension is a huge risk factor for glaucoma.

Just had to vent.
Old 02-18-2011, 12:47 PM
Administrator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

Wow, sorry to hear that. I've been having some eye issues lately as well. It's serious when you start considering how it may affect your life, and how valuable your vision is.

Good luck man. Keep up hope for that medical mary jane
Old 02-18-2011, 05:36 PM

Vehicle: 13 Gen Coupe Ult.

Hey dont let life get you down man, As of now you have just moved you one step closer to being at Cloud Nine when ever you need, dont know about you, but to me that would be like getting the collect 200 dollars in Monopoly!
Old 02-18-2011, 06:17 PM
Administrator

I am immune to the effects of weed, so that doesn't help me at all. My luck it won't even help glaucoma if it gets to that point.
Old 02-19-2011, 09:14 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

Drink like a fish . . . water. If you're dehydrated you will have high pressure in your eyes. It might not be your only problem but it sho' won't help your eyes, if you're dry.
Old 02-19-2011, 09:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Vehicle: 02 Hyundai Accent

That sux bro, I now have to were glasses as well for perfect vision. I barley passed the last vision test I took at dmv a couple years ago.
Old 02-19-2011, 11:17 PM

Vehicle: Hyundai Tiburon FX

^Same here!!! I think it's time to get off the forum. I try to stay off as much as possible, but I always say that and come back. Now it's getting serious.

I'm sorry to hear all of this.
Old 02-22-2011, 08:00 AM

Vehicle: 2013 Subaru Legacy 2.5l Limited

Sorry to hear about this Floyd! Astigmatisms can come and go. When I first got glasses it was really bad. Then I got astigmatism contacts. My astigmatism actually went away because my eye got retrained. However I got rid of the astigmatism contacts because they are more expensive then regular contacts and my astigmatism came back. So needless to say, take care of your eyes and they will take care of you
Old 02-22-2011, 01:53 PM
Administrator

I found a pair of glasses that should work okay. I guess I'll know how much I hate wearing glasses when they come in next week.

Thanks everyone.
Old 02-22-2011, 02:35 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Veloster DCT w/ Tech

Had my first early glaucoma test last month (at 32 yrs old) because I couldn't see the docs hand moving at 3 o'clock. Turns out it's from the laser surgeries and overall effect of 30 yrs of having diabetes. Still, headed down the same path my friend. Stay strong....enjoy it while you got it!