Health, Body, & Wellness Got questions about your health or an ailment? Maybe just looking to figure out what nutrition program is right for you? Ask away in here, as Hyundai Aftermarket's resident medical advisor answers your questions.
For more info, please go to http://www.dcberk.com

Michigan passes "Rape Insurance" bill

Old 12-13-2013, 04:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 00 hyundai tib
Default Michigan passes "Rape Insurance" bill

Michigan lawmakers passed a controversial measure on Wednesday that will ban all insurance plans in the state from covering abortion unless the woman's life is in danger. The law, which takes effect in March, will force women and employers to purchase a separate abortion rider if they would like the procedure covered, even in cases of rape and incest.

Supporters of the "Abortion Insurance Opt-Out Act" argue that it allows people who are opposed to abortion to avoid paying into a plan that covers it. Opponents have nicknamed it the "rape insurance" initiative, because it would force some women to anticipate the possibility of being raped by purchasing the extra abortion insurance ahead of time.

“This tells women who were raped … that they should have thought ahead and planned for it,” said Senate Minority Leader Gretchen Whitmer (D-East Lansing) during debates. “Make no mistake, this is anything but a citizens' initiative. It’s a special interest group’s perverted dream come true.”

The Michigan State Legislature first passed the measure last year, but Governor Rick Snyder (R) vetoed it, saying he does not "believe it is appropriate to tell a woman who becomes pregnant due to a rape that she needed to select elective insurance coverage."

But the anti-abortion group Right to Life of Michigan was able to collect more than 300,000 voter signatures on a petition this year to force a second vote on the measure. Having been passed by both chambers, the bill automatically becomes law now, even without Snyder's approval.

More than 80 percent of private insurance plans currently cover abortions, the New York Times reported, citing research organization the Guttmacher Institute. Eight states have passed similar laws banning the insurance coverage of abortion, according to the Guttmacher Institute, but only two of them have actually made the abortion rider available to women.

Several Democratic women lawmakers became emotional during debates on Wednesday as they told personal stories of miscarriage and abortion, and State Rep. David Knezek (D) blasted the measure as misogynistic.

"This body made up of 80 percent men will make a decision that will impact 100 percent of women," he said.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/1...n_4428432.html

Speaks for itself really. How disgusting.
Old 12-13-2013, 11:38 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Vehicle: '14 Ford F-150

Lawsuit in 10... 9... 8...
Old 12-14-2013, 10:10 AM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

Yeah good luck with that

I don't need baldness, drug rehab, or prenatal coverages on my obamacare plan, but they are required to be in there by federal law (thanks obama!) to spread the wealth around from me to people who need those coverages.

It would surprise me if abortion is not in the bucket of things obamacare requires plans to cover. And I'm not even interested enough to look and find out for myself.

The trope about 'rape insurance' is a straw man and people should feel bad for mentioning it . . . abortion is *almost* always about convenience. (zips flame suit up tight)
Old 12-16-2013, 12:37 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: Two Accents, Mini, Miata, Van, Outback, and a ZX-6

#Michigan

Why in the hell would they want to make it illegal to offer abortion coverage on a private insurance plan unless you buy separate coverage? It's just stupid. They should be able to offer plans without the coverage, but this is just idiotic.
Old 12-16-2013, 02:33 PM
Administrator

Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

rape insurance:

Old 12-16-2013, 09:23 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

The better question is why is government in the insurance coverage-dictating business at all?
Old 12-16-2013, 11:13 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Vehicle: '14 Ford F-150

Because the government is tired of footing the bill for uninsured people. I, as a fund-er of government, am tired of footing the bill for uninsured people. Because we are not barbarians, telling people that if they don't have insurance or money they get to die on the sidewalk is not an option.
Old 12-17-2013, 12:25 AM

Vehicle: X3 Sprint, S-Coupe Turbo

Still begs the question: if a woman is raped, who has to deal with the consequences? Either stance is valid as it's a pretty shitty question to begin with.

The woman either has to deal with it by having the baby

Or the baby has to deal with being killed 'just because'

I think that the abortion cover should be automatically in there for two reasons:

The first is that if someone is in a position where they feel that they want an abortion, they will either have it illegally (if that backfires, that ends up costing the state/country even more money anyway) or be a mediocre parent.

The second is that this takes the US one step closer to having an actual public healthcare system that doesn't discriminate in its treatment of citizens. This idea of opting in or out is strange to non-americans, because that would be like opting out of paying some tax, 'on the condition that you don't ever use the sidewalk, mmkay?'