Health, Body, & Wellness Got questions about your health or an ailment? Maybe just looking to figure out what nutrition program is right for you? Ask away in here, as Hyundai Aftermarket's resident medical advisor answers your questions.
For more info, please go to http://www.dcberk.com

Large Study Finds Coffee Drinkers Live Longer

Old 05-17-2012, 08:44 AM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Vehicle: 2010 Genesis 2.0T
Default Large Study Finds Coffee Drinkers Live Longer

http://extremelongevity.net/2012/05/...s-live-longer/

Coffee is one of the world’s most widely consumed beverages. It is derived from the coffee bean which contains a multitude of biologically active molecules. Among them are polyphenols which have antioxidant effects and caffeine which may help stabilize intracellular proteons and prevent misfolding and clumping.

These properties may explain the evidence from prior research that coffee reduces risk of diabetes and Parkinson’s

In the current issue of the New England Journal of Medicine the results of a large prospective study was published looking at the effect of coffee on all causes of death.

The researchers examined the subjects of the AARP-Health study, a group beginning at ages 50 to 71 and including more than 400,000 men and women followed for over 5,000,000 person-years.

In the first analysis it appeared that coffee drinkers were more like to die during the study period. However it was observed that many coffee drinkers also smoked cigarette. When cigarette smokers were excluded from the analysis it was found that coffee drinking actually reduced the death rate.

Death rate was similar in persons who drink one or less coffee per day to non drinker. For those who drank one cup death rate was reduced by 6%, for two to three cups death rate was reduced by 10%, and for four to five cups death rate was reduced by 12%. In those who drank six or more cups death rate was reduced by 10% versus non coffee drinkers.

Drinking coffee was associated with reduced rate of nearly all the leading causes of death. ”Inverse associations were observed for deaths due to heart disease, respiratory disease, stroke, injuries and accidents, diabetes, and infections, but not for deaths due to cancer,” wrote the authors.

Though the association between drinking coffee and reduced mortality was firmly statically significant, the authors rightly point out it cannot be proven from this data that the coffee was the cause of the benefit.

Old 05-17-2012, 09:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: X3 Sprint, S-Coupe Turbo

I think I'm going to live forever then.

That said, how can you even control an experiment like this? It's not like you can lock up thousands of people as test groups, wearing white robes and sipping machiattos.

I'm always suspicious of these studies.
Old 05-17-2012, 09:41 AM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

Originally Posted by wheel_of_steel
I think I'm going to live forever then.
^^

Me 2.
Old 05-17-2012, 09:46 AM

Vehicle: 2010/Hyundia/Genesis Coupe 2.0T Track

"the authors rightly point out it cannot be proven from this data that the coffee was the cause of the benefit."

This is my thoughts exactly...

My guess is more likely the ones that drank coffe were more active and woke up and exercised early, vs non coffe drinkers that don't get up and move as much and have worse health. I do think coffee can help, but it probably isn't impossible to get the same benefits without coffee either IMO.
Old 05-17-2012, 11:07 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

I don't exercise for sh*t and I drink a quart of coffee daily. Don't go painting me with your broad brush!