Health, Body, & Wellness Got questions about your health or an ailment? Maybe just looking to figure out what nutrition program is right for you? Ask away in here, as Hyundai Aftermarket's resident medical advisor answers your questions.
For more info, please go to http://www.dcberk.com

if you became a vegetable would you want to keep living

Old 11-29-2013, 05:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2004 elantra
Default if you became a vegetable would you want to keep living

what would you do if you randomly woke up in a hospital with no memory of what happened to you and you couldnt talk or move any part of your body. i think my brother would already know to casually walk into my hospital room and pull the plug
Old 11-29-2013, 08:22 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

It takes more than casually pulling the plug, and if you are worried about it you should get yourself an advance directive form made out and notarized.
Old 11-29-2013, 11:12 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Vehicle: '14 Ford F-150

What you're describing is NOT a vegetative state. Someone in a vegetative state is only unable to communicate. They do move, but not in response to external stimuli. They have no higher brain function. The only part of the brain that's functioning normally is the brain stem. If you were in a vegetative state, you wouldn't know it. One of the traits of a vegetative state is a lack of awareness.

In regards to your question, I don't have an advanced directive, however when I started racing motorcycles, I made it very clear to ALL of my relatives that I had no desire to be kept alive by use of "extraordinary measures".
Old 11-30-2013, 06:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: X3 Sprint, S-Coupe Turbo

Actually I would like to be kept alive - in reality it depends on the likelihood of 'waking up' from whatever specific type of coma you might have. If the chance is slim to none, then don't worry about it and pull the plug. However, I do quite enjoy being alive, doesn't matter if I have to be crippled to do it.