Health, Body, & Wellness Got questions about your health or an ailment? Maybe just looking to figure out what nutrition program is right for you? Ask away in here, as Hyundai Aftermarket's resident medical advisor answers your questions.
For more info, please go to http://www.dcberk.com

Eating Processed Meat and Red Meat Significantly Raises Risk of Death

Old 03-13-2012, 02:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2004 Tiburon GT
Default Eating Processed Meat and Red Meat Significantly Raises Risk of Death

http://shine.yahoo.com/healthy-livin...162800549.html

A major new study may put the final nail in the coffin, so to speak, of the "bacon with everything" food craze. Researchers at the Harvard School of Public Health examined data from more than 110,000 people and found that eating as little as two pieces of bacon or one hot dog a day upped their mortality rate by 20% over a 20-year period. A small, three-ounce serving of red meat a day (about the size of a deck of cards) increased mortality by 13%.

Related: Six Tasty Vegetarian Sources of Protein

Consuming processed meat has long been linked to higher rates of cancer, heart disease, and diabetes. Dr. An Pan, lead author of the study, told the LA Times that before they crunched the numbers, his team of researchers assumed that only processed meat posed significant health risks. They were surprised by the final results: "Any red meat you eat contributes to the risk," said Pan.

The good news? The team found that swapping poultry or vegetarian protein options for processed or red meat made a big difference in outcomes. Eating a serving of nuts instead of red meat was associated with a 19% lower risk of mortality. Choosing poultry over red meat was linked with a 14% lower risk of dying.

"This study provides clear evidence that regular consumption of red meat, especially processed meat, contributes substantially to premature death," said senior researcher Frank Hu, PhD, in a statement. "On the other hand, choosing more healthful sources of protein in place of red meat can confer significant health benefits by reducing chronic disease morbidity and mortality."

Although Pan says that no amount of processed meat or red meat is good for you, he suggests that, "If you want to eat red meat, eat the unprocessed products, and reduce it to two or three servings a week." He told the Times he eats two to three servings of red meat a week and avoids all processed meat.

I dont care....I love me some red meat!
Old 03-13-2012, 03:17 PM

Vehicle: 03 Hyundai Accent

I won't stop eating cows...
Old 03-13-2012, 04:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Vehicle: 02 Hyundai Accent

^I'm with these guys^
Old 03-13-2012, 04:56 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: Two Accents, Mini, Miata, Van, Outback, and a ZX-6

If I wasn't supposed to eat it carrots would taste a lot better.
Old 03-13-2012, 07:26 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Veloster DCT w/ Tech

This BS is everywhere today. I think the vegetarians are up to some crap. I don't care how much shorter my life is......if I have to stop eating steak and hot dogs, life is pretty much over anyways!!
Old 03-13-2012, 08:33 PM
Administrator

Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

Eat more bison. Nom.
Old 03-13-2012, 10:07 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

So they did a study where people changed exactly one thing in their diet, and it had dramatic results? Or is this yet another case of correlation=causation BS that plays well to the government educated. I'm not going to click through to find out, I'm too busy eating by BLT. With extra bacon, hold the lettuce and tomato.
Old 03-14-2012, 06:17 AM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

A major new study may put the final nail in the coffin, so to speak, of the "bacon with everything" food craze. Researchers at the Harvard School of Public Health examined data from more than 110,000 people and found that eating as little as two pieces of bacon or one hot dog a day upped their mortality rate by 20% over a 20-year period. A small, three-ounce serving of red meat a day (about the size of a deck of cards) increased mortality by 13%.

The good news? The team found that swapping poultry or vegetarian protein options for processed or red meat made a big difference in outcomes. Eating a serving of nuts instead of red meat was associated with a 19% lower risk of mortality. Choosing poultry over red meat was linked with a 14% lower risk of dying.

Eating nuts gives you a 19% chance of NOT DYING.

Choosing poultry over red meat gives you a 14% chance of NOT DYING.

Didn't know immortality was at steak (hehe) here! Ima go buy me some nuts...
Old 03-14-2012, 11:05 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

The link is correlation, not causation, or I am surprised. There is a 100% correlation between swimming and drowning, so beware of water!
Old 03-15-2012, 06:07 AM

Vehicle: X3 Sprint, S-Coupe Turbo

I'm allergic to nuts, so eating nuts would result in a 100% increase in my death rate.

Ergo, red meat decreases my death rate by 100%. Brb, immortal.