Health, Body, & Wellness Got questions about your health or an ailment? Maybe just looking to figure out what nutrition program is right for you? Ask away in here, as Hyundai Aftermarket's resident medical advisor answers your questions.
For more info, please go to http://www.dcberk.com

Do you live a green lifestyle?

Old 03-19-2013, 01:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2002 Accent
Default Do you live a green lifestyle?

How many of you live a green lifestyle? Meaning, you recycle and try to reduce your carbon footprint as much as possible? I recycle at home and the company I work for tries to stay green with the amount of energy they use and stuff, but thats about as far as I go with it. I would never drive a Prius but I would put solar panels on my home.
Old 03-19-2013, 01:57 PM
Administrator

Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

My wife's job is home energy conservation, so it's at top of mind. Trying to use less electricity in the home mainly. That's about the only thing I contribute, keeping our oversized home at a stable, enjoyable 65-68º year round.

The company she works for actually leased 50+ Prius for the field staff who drive all the time. It was cheaper in the long run than paying them $0.55/mile reimbursement for their own vehicle. Some of the guys are backwoods, redneck hunters (think Duck Dynasty) with a nice lift and big tires on their trucks. Even they have made comments that the Prius is a reasonable car for someone who drives a lot. Getting 50mpg when prices are $3.50-$4 will make you see things differently.
Old 03-19-2013, 02:58 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: Two Accents, Mini, Miata, Van, Outback, and a ZX-6

I would love to do a solar project for my home.

I actually would love a fun electric car. Instant torque FTW. But I won't drive something like a Prius.
Old 03-19-2013, 03:12 PM
Administrator

lol... instant torque from that 45hp engine.

The Volt is 50/50. Uses electric til the battery dies then uses gas.
Old 03-19-2013, 03:29 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: Two Accents, Mini, Miata, Van, Outback, and a ZX-6

I said a fun electric car. Nothing with 45hp allowed. And I'm not spending a bazillion dollars on it like a Tesla or similar.

I would like a hybrid with one set of wheels being driven by an internal combustion engine and the other by electric wheel motors. It makes good sense.
Old 03-19-2013, 10:47 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Vehicle: '14 Ford F-150

Give the choice between two 100% equal benefit, same cost items, I'll choose the greener one. I will not pay more for "green", "organic", "free-trade", etc...

This does not mean I believe "green" products should be as cheap as Chinese made crap that kills babies. This means I think Chinese crap should be taxed into oblivion to be made as expensive as "green" products. People buy non-green and Chines stuff because it's cheaper, not because it's as good. So, eliminate that incentive. Lets turn all Walmarts into parks, homeless shelters or sports arenas while we're at it.
Old 03-19-2013, 11:41 PM

Vehicle: X3 Sprint, S-Coupe Turbo

I think the best contribution I make to being green is just not being an idiot with energy usage. Don't leave lights and computers running all the time, don't be lazy and use the car for five minute trips, don't buy obviously bad stuff like Cobra mentioned.

I love the idea of passive solar design when it comes to houses. Green aside, I think it's super neat to have a house that's just always phr3sh and comfortable without blasting a/c and heating through it all the time.
Old 03-20-2013, 08:03 AM
Administrator

I wish someone would develop solar windows that could be used in skyscrapers to generate electricity to power the building. There's limited area on a roof for panels, but windows are so plentiful in buildings it would be great to have a way to collect that energy while having a transparent view out of a window.
Old 03-20-2013, 12:14 PM

Vehicle: 1991 Impulse RS

Originally Posted by wheel_of_steel
I think it's super neat to have a house that's just always phr3sh and comfortable without blasting a/c and heating through it all the time.

as an HVAC-R mechanic, I DO NOT support this comment. lol

I recycle, own fuel efficient cars and don't waste energy. I can't say I go out of my way to be green, but will choose to be green when no extra effort/money is required.
Old 03-20-2013, 12:28 PM
Administrator

I live the green lifestyle.