Health, Body, & Wellness Got questions about your health or an ailment? Maybe just looking to figure out what nutrition program is right for you? Ask away in here, as Hyundai Aftermarket's resident medical advisor answers your questions.
For more info, please go to http://www.dcberk.com

Bodybuilding question

Old 12-28-2010, 01:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 tib
Default Bodybuilding question

I started working out about 7-8 months ago, and I've been very consistent at working out 4-5 times a week. As the months went on, I've changed diet, routines and even equipment. My goal is to build muscle without gaining fat. I'm 6'3" and at the moment I'm 167-168 pounds, the lowest that I've been was 157.

I work out in the mornings, right after I wake up. I'll usually work out for ~45 minutes, go take a shower and then eat breakfast. Breakfast usually is a protein shake along with a bagel or a muffin, peanut butter, apple sauce and banana.

My question is should I at least drink my protein shake prior to working out, or just keep doing as I'm doing? Is there anything else that I can do to show more results (besides steroids

)?
Old 12-28-2010, 03:02 PM
Administrator

Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

I think eating an apple or small amount of carbs before the workout will yield better muscle use and energy for your workout. All your carbs are depleted while you're sleeping and used for brain activity. Your muscles need nutrition to grow.

Follow the workout with the protein shake immediately, less than 30 minutes later while your muscles are begging for food. Maybe swap the order of your breakfast and shower.

I'm not an expert, this is just my interpretation from things I've read over the years
Old 12-28-2010, 10:45 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

^ +1 at least have a banana before workouts. Honey on toast, something with lots of readily-convertible carbs.
Old 12-29-2010, 05:32 PM

Vehicle: 1998 Tiburon

I would say some carbs and amino acids before training hands down. Don't go for simple sugars as an insulin spike on an empty stomach will kill you workout. Oatmeal (the lowest amount of sugar you can tolerate)with water for regular diet. I would look at some bcaa's to bump the strength, any form would be beneficial but powders are easy.

A gerneral guide line suggests the anabolic window post trainging starts from 15 mins to 30 mins outside of training. Therefore, have your protein in the time frame. Also your muscles are in a pulling state post training were they will soak up anything you give them. After your shake feel free to chow down!