Health, Body, & Wellness Got questions about your health or an ailment? Maybe just looking to figure out what nutrition program is right for you? Ask away in here, as Hyundai Aftermarket's resident medical advisor answers your questions.
For more info, please go to http://www.dcberk.com

Anyone having sciatic pain problems?

Old 10-21-2012, 05:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 1999 tiburon fx
Default Anyone having sciatic pain problems?

Work in the office, sit for 8hrs a day. My sciatic nerve is so f*cked my leg and butt experience constant pain and numbness. FML. There really isn't a way around it, it's depressing because it's part of my job to be at my desk for majority of the day.

Anyone else have similar experience?
Old 10-22-2012, 09:30 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Vehicle: 2010 Genesis Coupe 2L track

I did a few years ago. It was so bad I would get up in the middle of the night and walk up and down the road. Sitting, laying were both quite painful and no pain pill would help it.

Went to mu chiropractor and finally got it fixed. It was my hip out of alignment. The cause was sleeping on my side in a bed and couch that had a big dip in the middle.

Bottom line is you have to find out why the problem started and stop doing that. The chiropractor can realign the joints but cannot fix the cause.
Old 10-22-2012, 10:25 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

There is a way around it. You are doing things at your desk that are avoidable, because people who sit at desks don't all have sciatic pain. Don't got to a chiropractic, read and live Pain Free and save yourself the money for life. I think he even wrote a book specifically for people stuck at desks all day.
Old 10-23-2012, 01:08 AM

Vehicle: 1999 Elantra GLS Sportswagon

I posted this on hyundaiaftermarket earlier about a similar issue , even though i needed a second ct guided c6 root nerve injection of cortisone i did take some of Stocker's advice and found the right exercises the key and also found acupuncture helped but as Red raspberry said there is a cause and that's what you need to sort first.

It could be just bad habits but I'm taking all the advice I've been given from doctor's as well and they all say your body should basically heal itself so I've made changes to my diet and lifestyle and basically detoxing my system to let my liver recover and so far have been able not to take all the pills that i needed before and managing my injuries.

"About 2009 i had a few herniated c4/5 c5/6 disc's in the neck which needed a ct guided c6 root nerve injection of cortisone to get it to heal, it's a injury I've learned to manage but recently in April this year i suffered a herniated disc in my lower back which again required two ct guided cortisone injections in the left and right hand sides of the c6 lumber region I had physio and acupuncture treatment but wasn't getting the desired result so tried chiropractic treatment which was successful but in the process my neck flared up to the extent i had severe pain in my right hand and numbness all the way down to my arm to my thumb and two adjacent fingers needing some heavy meds and again a ct guided c6 root nerve injection of cortisone 4 weeks ago. Atm some minor numbness at the tip of my thumb and manageable pain from the shoulder to elbow and meds are minor mainly at night ,doctor said about six weeks from injection it should take to settle."
Old 10-23-2012, 07:26 AM

Vehicle: 2006 Pontiac GTO

Back stretching might help, as could ibuprofen (i was prescribed up to 2400mg per day so you can take quite a bit) or aleve (i was prescribed one in the morning, one at night; not at the same time with the ibuprofen).

I would see a doctor though as you probably have a herniated disc (which is pressing on the sciatic nerve).
Old 10-23-2012, 01:08 PM
Super Moderator

A herniated disc is a symptom. You can fix the cause yourself with a significant commitment of free time, for $10. (edit: probably can fix)

My offer still stands, by the way: anybody who buys a copy of Pain Free and it doesn't help them, I'll buy it and give it to someone else. I would say "lend" but I've only ever had about 10% of people return a "lent" copy of this book!
Old 10-24-2012, 06:41 AM

Vehicle: 2006 Pontiac GTO

Thanks for the tip, I actually bought the book (the "at your PC" version). Fixing the cause is obviously a great thing.

But if you have a herniated disk, it might not heal by itself even if you fix the cause (depends how bad it is). Sciatic pain is a sign that it could be serious.
Old 10-24-2012, 09:32 PM
Super Moderator

Indeed. But I consider a few hours a day of self-led therapy a much better first-resort than surgery if at all possible.