Health, Body, & Wellness Got questions about your health or an ailment? Maybe just looking to figure out what nutrition program is right for you? Ask away in here, as Hyundai Aftermarket's resident medical advisor answers your questions.
For more info, please go to http://www.dcberk.com

any advantages?

Old 12-31-2009, 08:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2003 Accent
Default any advantages?

i keep seeing people talk about taking probiotic yogurt. what are the advantages to this and does it really help immune systems?
Old 01-01-2010, 04:26 PM
Administrator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

probiotics are beneficial for the digestive system. Yogurt and Sweet Acidophilus milk have probiotics, or you can take supplements to help your digestive system.

I personally think it's a marketing scheme... I doubt there's a large amount of probiotics in yogurt. You might have to eat several cups to get benefits

Probiotic supplements put healthy bacteria back into your body. Theories are that in the 60's (before or after) we started sterilizing plants and produce and then using chemicals (i.e., pesticides) and killing all the natural/good/bad bacteria that humans have been consuming forever. Now our bodies aren't getting the bacteria, and we aren't building up our immune system to prevent diseases. There's been a huge increase in the number of G.I. problems (IBD, IBS, Crohn's disease, etc.) in the last decade, which may be leading to the influx in "probiotic" marketing.

My wife has Crohn's disease, and takes probiotics daily - Bifidobacterium