Group Buys This section is for Group buys currently in progress.

Fire Extinguisher - Small And Great For In The Car

Old 08-19-2009, 09:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

Well since my tib caught on fire I was looking for something small to keep in the tib/jeep/cavalier just in case. My distributor for compressed air call up today and mentioned these fire extinguishers. If you guys are interested I can get them pretty cheap right now. Like $15 shipped in the 48 states, otherwise I'd have to check on shipping costs. I'll put the <span style="color:#FF0000">deadline on these at AUGUST 31st.</span> After than I think the price is going back up.

http://blowoff.com/specialty/fire_x.htm

btw, the paypal is nathanparks@highpcs.com
Old 08-19-2009, 09:46 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

But but but, they aren't chrome/polished/red/blue/green!
Old 08-19-2009, 09:47 AM

chrome spray paint? I'm supposed to be getting some in a few days and I'll double check that they'll fit in the glovebox.
Old 08-19-2009, 09:50 AM

Honestly, if you guys don't have a fire extinguisher in your house somewhere, you are semi retarded. GET ONE! I've got a nice polished one for my car, but would like one of these for my SUV, andone for my next vehicle.

I'll take 2.
Old 08-19-2009, 09:54 AM

cool, just remembered to add the paypal.

We've got an old school one in the house, red with the gauge and everything. I'm not one for extinguisher bling bling so I'll just be putting one of these in the glovebox. (you and dtn...)
Old 08-19-2009, 10:40 AM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

Only 1 in the house? We have a small one for each car, and 2 medium ones (heavy for the wife but she can still lift 'em) for the kitchen & garage. Whenever I get a little more spending cash, I'd like to have one for our bedroom too.
Old 08-19-2009, 11:33 AM

Vehicle: 1997 Tiburon

Be careful guys, these do not extinguish flammable or combustible liquids such as gasoline, kerosene, grease and oil which is the cause of most automotive fires. You need a CLASS B fire extinguisher for that, and I believe these are only CLASS C.

Just a heads up.
Old 08-19-2009, 11:51 AM

Good point.

I'll wait and see what the verdict is. I could still use one more for my house, and one for the garage.
Old 08-19-2009, 01:44 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

I would recommend buying only ABC types, when you go shopping.
Old 08-21-2009, 10:19 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (tanc @ Aug 19 2009, 01:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Be careful guys, these do not extinguish flammable or combustible liquids such as gasoline, kerosene, grease and oil which is the cause of most automotive fires. You need a CLASS B fire extinguisher for that, and I believe these are only CLASS C.

Just a heads up.</div>

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fire_extinguisher

The page says good for electic, grease, fabic/wood fires. They even suggest having one in the car. Let me check with them. My first order of them hasn't come in yet. But if I'm reading it right it's and ABC fire extinguisher. They wiki page says the pictogram is also acceptable and it has all three for a, b, and c.

Apparently it has Aqueous Film Foam . Which according to wikipedia:
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>AFFF (aqueous film forming foam), used on A and B fires and for vapor suppression. The most common type in portable foam extinguishers. It contains fluoro tensides [5] which can be accumulated in human body. The long-term effects of this on the human body and environment are unclear at this time.</div>

So it looks like if anything it's a AB extinguisher. But it does say on their site several times it can be used on electical which is C, I'm assuming all the wiki is saying is it's not ideal for electical. Really the only thing different between this and those red disposible ones you get at walmart is the size and the fact that it's in pretty much a compressed air container.