General Performance & Hyundai Chat If you can't figure out which performance/modifications catagory to put your post in, then put it here. Also use this are to discuss general things about your Hyundai.

Wiring problems with all modern cars. All makes and models.

Old 03-01-2013, 12:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: Hyundai Accent
Default Wiring problems with all modern cars. All makes and models.

Iv noticed as cars become newer the car makes are starting to share a lot of wiring in there cars with other systems.

A friend of mine works with AMG. There Whole Door/Window Systems/ Child system and Heating systems are all linked to the same Powers fuse feeds. Meaning any issues with one and you will lose everything.

Mostly With alarms and Door lock systems and immobilizers all being linked. Meaning a damage too door locks will cut off everything related to that meaning loads of faults. Meaning once damaged or Set off a alarm the car will please itself until fixed or reset. which is happening alot with Japanese car makers

Even Hyundai have there share.

They share ABS/Handbrake and Fluid Warning lights.

So if u blow a fuse for Handbrake or Fluid warning Switch become Faulty you lose your ABS system. Being as The engine check light will not show up for faulty ABS unit.. and The fuse also Takes out the ABS lights. Very stupid.

As more cars have more Equipment inc Electrical Handbrakes ect. Starting to feel like diagnosing your own car is gonna get close too impossible soon.
Old 03-01-2013, 06:49 PM

Vehicle: 1997 RD 4-door

tell me about it..did you just have a epiphany?

more complex electronic equipment, more wiring, multiple points sharing the same grounding points, more plastic engine parts, less mechanical, not to mention they're bigger, fatter..more demand of auto technicians than auto mechanics,

I"ll keep my 97 RD/J2 with it's cable actuated throttle, analog gauges, and manual cogbox.
Old 03-01-2013, 08:35 PM

Vehicle: 1991 Impulse RS

There was a time when an engine was 100% mechanical. No computer needed.
Old 03-01-2013, 09:43 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

And hi-test gas was 57 octane, and you got 4MPG, and the engine was totally clapped-out at 50,000 miles.
Old 03-01-2013, 10:18 PM

ahhhhhh, the good old days
Old 03-02-2013, 01:17 AM

Vehicle: X3 Sprint, S-Coupe Turbo

Who cares? These are all ancillaries anyway. You probably won't be stranded by a non-functioning rear door lock. They are designed that way to reduce wiring harness weight, cost, and complexity. I'm sure that the factory literature and training is well enough equipped to diagnose these multi-integrated systems anyway.

Me personally though, I don't mind roll-up windows and manual HVAC. The only power amenity that I find super useful is power mirrors.
Old 03-02-2013, 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by wheel_of_steel
Me personally though, I don't mind roll-up windows and manual HVAC. The only power amenity that I find super useful is power mirrors.

I agree, less options, less things to go wrong. But I'm having a hard time understanding why power mirrors are so important to you? I only adjust my mirrors once or twice a month but roll up/down my windows many times a trip.
Old 03-02-2013, 07:48 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

Nobody else drives your car, then? If you share your car with someone else, power mirrors are verrrrr nice. I fail to understand how people shift so much from one driving session to the next that they need to adjust mirrors previously adjusted to their own liking . . . but my wife does that so If you find yourself adjusting your mirrors frequently, set them up like this and then don't touch them for a month at least.

I take the occasion to invite everyone to read my little rant on the topic of modern cars and their fancy new control methods. Generally, if a computer is doing much besides timing and fuel, there is too much thinking going on under the hood IMO.
Old 03-03-2013, 01:44 AM

Vehicle: X3 Sprint, S-Coupe Turbo

I do delivery driving, pizza and newspapers. I do pizzas in a toyota yaris with power mirrors - very nice and easy to quickly tweak to perfection. I do newpapers in a mitsubishi express, where the mirrors are adjusted by rolling down the window and moving the entire mirror assembly.

I guess it's really just the passenger mirror that needs power adjustment. There are manual remote mirrors, such as those installed on the donk chevy caprices, but they're complex and heavy. The power setup is more elegant.
Old 03-03-2013, 01:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Vehicle: 2010 Genesis Coupe 2L track

What I don't like and is on the '13 Geen Coupe is smart SS relays. The fog lights are controlled by the BCM through a smart switch and it's fused with half the other car on a 50A buss.