General Performance & Hyundai Chat If you can't figure out which performance/modifications catagory to put your post in, then put it here. Also use this are to discuss general things about your Hyundai.

Where did you learn about what you know how car modification?

Old 02-28-2011, 12:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where did you learn about what you know how car modification?

Hey guys, so i was wondering where did you guys all learn what you know about cars, your car, and modifications as whole. Im interested in starting a car dealership/modification shop in the future and am currently enrolled in college to learn about the business aspect. Now i plan on going to a technical school in order to get hands on experience , but until then i want to get a head start. I want to learn everything i possibly can about cars as a whole. I want to learn how to do everything the right way. So how did you learn everything you know? have any good advice? preferably good books that can teach me as much as possible? web sites? let me know any way you guys can help. thanks
Old 02-28-2011, 12:50 AM

Vehicle: 13 Gen Coupe Ult.

I attended Intelletec, Also just been turning wrenchs sense I was just a kid. Alot of learning is hands on and getting dirty first hand. It is really hard to understand how things work with out really getting to it.
Old 02-28-2011, 04:43 AM

Vehicle: 2011 Tuscon

I learned from all the old bloats that ive worked with in the past . And from college, had to pay for that one tho.

I'd recommend going to Wyotech or UTI, they're both 1 year programs and everyone I know that has gone there loved it and ended up with quite a few trade skills
Old 02-28-2011, 07:04 AM

Vehicle: Tiburon 2001

i atended Universal Technical Institute (UTI) in the Orlando Campus and was a great learning experience, they teach you everything about cars. also if you can try to get a job in a dealer or independent shop as low as you possibly can, a lube tech is a good starting point, and you'll learn a lot from that and helping the other more exprienced techs
Old 02-28-2011, 08:23 AM
Administrator

Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

From getting my hands dirty, and members on

The revered fxtreme.com

The old HyundaiPerformance.com

The everlasting HyundaiAftermarket.com/org

and The site previously known as RDTiburon.com

Just making that list makes me feel really really old.
Old 02-28-2011, 08:58 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Vehicle: 02 Hyundai Accent

Every thing I have learned about cars came from reading and experience, I am self trained, I am my best teacher! Then of course there was the old HP boards that alot of info came from that got me through the beta swap minus electrical, that was a hole new level of learning. I just studied wiring schematics on hmaservice.com till I understood what I was looking at then I modified my beta 2 harness to be a plug an play on my Accent.
Old 02-28-2011, 10:55 AM

good advice guys, i have seen the UTI commercials and that definitely is a possibility in the future, also in the running are new england tech (because if i graduate early i can still live on my own, while going to NET instead of coming back to jersey) or Lincoln Tech which is by my main home in jersey. Anyone have any experience with these schools?
Old 02-28-2011, 11:00 AM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

Here.
Old 02-28-2011, 12:44 PM
Administrator

Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

^ agreed.

The forums (and webtech) will give you everything you need to know about our cars. Get your hands dirty and you'll learn - a lot. It'll give you an in-depth understanding of Hyundais, which will be largely applicable to troubleshooting most other cars you'll come across.

Get a job while you're in school at a mechanic shop, or even if it's just changing oil somewhere, anything to get exposed to as many brake adjustments, oil changes, tranny flushes, and tire mounting as possible. See how other shops are run and how you would do things differently.

I know the school here (Nashville Auto Diesel College) has their own shop that students work and learn, and it's open to the public at discounted rates. They do everything from oil changes to different tire alignment machines and I believe big rigs.
Old 02-28-2011, 04:27 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: Two Accents, Mini, Miata, Van, Outback, and a ZX-6

Mostly from driving old POS sub $1k cars for the first decade that I was driving. I also helped some of my better off friends work on their modification projects. After I got some cars that were reliable enough that wrenching every weekend wasn't required I started doing some modifying for fun.

Being in a car club is a good way to get experience working on different cars too, there's never a shortage of people wanting an extra hand installing aftermarket parts.