General Performance & Hyundai Chat If you can't figure out which performance/modifications catagory to put your post in, then put it here. Also use this are to discuss general things about your Hyundai.

What is the difference Hp and Torque?

Old 10-11-2001, 06:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is the difference Hp and Torque?

IF you have a car with a lot of hp but with very low torque power and other with a lot of torque but poor hp. Which will run better? The car of my brother is a 89 Mazda MX6 Turbo, this cars have a very low hp numbers and a lot of torque but when you hit they pull very hard and you fill that you can't breathe at that moment. I never test an Honda or Acura (perfect example for low torque and high hp)but many people told me that the fast ones (like Prelude, Integra, Civic SI and S2000) pull very well too. I got a magazine (Road and Track) that test three cars: BMW M3, Boxter, S2000. The Honda and the BMW have the same HP (240) but after the 80 mph the Honda begin to fade against the BMW. After I read that report my conclusion is that the BMW got help from his torque. The same thing happen with another test of the same magazine between a Mustang Cobra and a Camaro SS, both have 320hp but the Chevrolet get in front after 100mph and the writter say that is thanks to the extra torque of this car.
Old 10-11-2001, 06:46 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

Look at it this way. HP is Torque is power, hp is torque over time, or how fast you can make that power(torque).

Read these two articles... http://www.datsuns.com/torquehp.htm
http://www.datsuns.com/Tech/hpinfo2.htm

they should clear up the situation for you.

Anytime the Tachometer is under 5252, you are using torque to accelerate.
Any time the tachometer is OVER 5252, you are using HP to accelerate.

The Mx6 keeps the needle under 5252 most of the time, so it is using it's torque to accelerate.
The hondas keep their needles above 5252 most of the time, so they are using HP to accelerate.

So they equal out somewhat and give somewhat equal performance (assuming the Mazda's Torque figures = the Honda's HP figures).

[ October 11, 2001: Message edited by: Random ]
Old 10-11-2001, 08:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

this reminds me of the nhra and ihra difference, im pretty sure those are the two acronyms, i may be wrong, but anyway, those cars have the exact same hp, but the nhra has a much higher torque, hence making those cars go a lot faster.

Reading that 5252 thing has cleared this ? up for me as well, thanks for the info.

I always thought in terms of electricity, when amps push volts, amps being torque and volts being hp.

learn something new everyday!