General Performance & Hyundai Chat If you can't figure out which performance/modifications catagory to put your post in, then put it here. Also use this are to discuss general things about your Hyundai.

What about a shortened shifter for a 2K Tibby?

Old 11-14-2001, 03:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

interesting question. I have taken a look at it and cutting it seems possible. But ti would piss Hyundai off (not that this matters to most, but I mainly bought the car for the warranty...which I later learned sucks ass...) and more importantly, the shift lever is not straight, it has a nice bend to it. Which means first and third gear would bloody my knuckes if I had the cupholder out. Yeah. Ow.

But, MOMO does make some nice shift knobs. If anyone has had any experience in just cutting the stock shift lever, I am ALL ears...

Jeremy

"You are not you F***ing khakis!"
--Tyler Derdin
Old 11-14-2001, 07:03 PM

Vehicle: Custom Wagon

You could just cut the shifter to make it smaller but it won't change the throw. When you put in a short shifter you reduce the throw making the gears closer. Now if you just want a smaller shifter take out the shifter and take it to a mufler shop and have them cut it down and redo the hole and reweld the shifter back on. But if you want to reduce the throw you will have to do a couple of other things or just get a short shifter.
Old 10-17-2002, 11:26 AM

I have B&M shortshifter for my 2k and an SR carbon fiber shift knob. It's way shorter throw up and down as well as sideways(not sure on the sideways actually since I don't remember how it was, but i think so smile.gif I think specs said 70% shorter between gears.
Old 10-18-2002, 10:28 AM
arn

I've had my B&M shifter since April. The throw is not as short as the SR but it gives you a more solid feel. I had to cut mine off 2.5 in. because the shaft is as tall as the stock. I'll post a pic if I can find it still.

I do like the B&M. It takes only about 15 min. to install. If you buy one, make sure you call B&M for a spare bolt underneath the shifter because it tends to break off. they fix the problem by replacing the bolt with a solid metal instead of aluminum.

Also, OBX make the same shifter as B&M.

Here is my B&M Shifter after cutting the shaft. wink
Old 10-18-2002, 11:34 AM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Vehicle: 2010 Genesis 2.0T

Wow, was this thread ever brought back from the dead. *lol* Moving to the Tranny/Clutch/Shifter forum....