General Performance & Hyundai Chat If you can't figure out which performance/modifications catagory to put your post in, then put it here. Also use this are to discuss general things about your Hyundai.

Tib vs. 1.6 Elantra driving impressions

Old 03-13-2003, 05:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tib vs. 1.6 Elantra driving impressions

Well, I just bought a Tib (as you probably have seen in the other two threads I posted) and although I haven’t had enough time to realy put the Tib to a test, the impression I have is that the 1.6 Elantra responds faster to the throttle, don’t ask me why, I’m not saying it feels more powerful, but it feels quicker in response. I have noticed also, that in the inscription documents, the Tib weighs a tad over 1230 Kg, while the Elantra is rated only at 1130. I know there are features as the ABS brakes, airbag (and who knows what else) that might be in the Tib and not in my GLS Elantra, but 100 Kg really make some difference in road “feel”.
Could it be because I’m used to the Elantra upgraded suspension (H&R Springs; KYB GR-2 shocks) vs. the Tib stock spring more than to the weight difference? Power to weight ratio benefits the Tib, so it shouldn’t be that. Well, anyway, I think I will get used to the long stroked Tib.
tongue.gif
Old 03-14-2003, 02:17 PM

It`s really sad to read a post like this!
We all know Hyundai make good cars, but why do they have to be so conservative!.For a Customer to upgrade from a saloon(sedan) to a sports model & be underwhelmed is UNFORGIVEABLE!..
When other manufacturers have a standard range of engines to cover their model-range, they fit a TUNED version into their sports models....that`s what performance cars are all about!.
The only time that Hyundai have ever done this was back in `93 when they introduced a completely revised Turbo model to sell alongside the Series 2 Scoupe....and even then they were so nervous about it they reduced the (U.K.) warranty on that particular model from 3 years to 1!.
Perhaps we should all forward a copy of this posting to the Company, because in the Generation 3 Tiburon (Tuscani / Coupe)they have produced a fantasticaly-good sports car which, once again, is let down by it`s engines.
For a 2.7 litre V6 to only develop 167 bhp. is ridiculous, when the 1.6 litre 4 cylinder Brazilian-built engine fitted to the MINI Cooper S
puts out 164!.Furthermore the Hyundai is unbelievably thirsty.
In my opinion, the 4 cylinder Beta 2-litre variant is the better car, but why do we have to tune it ourselves if we want performance to match a Subaru Imprezza!.
I know the poster bought a used 1.6 Tiburon & this is a poor-performer which is`nt even sold in the U.S.A.....but that really is not the point, it is still supposed to be a sports car and the reality is that even the majority of American Insurance Companies do not class the Tiburon as such.
Old 03-15-2003, 04:50 AM

I just think that Hyundai should really release a performance series of engines. Bigger cams, less restrictive exhaust, bigger throttle body, bigger valves, higher compression, stickier clutch, and a better intake. If you take all of these things into account, it wouldn't really be that expensive to do. About the same amount of materials would be used as in a standard engine but the cars would instead have close to 180bhp. For that matter, Hyundai should release a complete line of beta2 cars with a stock turbo. It's insane how responsive the beta is to turbo charging. They could make them damn near indestructable and for a turbo elantra GLS it would cost less than $21,000 (total for list of mods I am planning which will include turbo+engine internals, suspension, and brakes). How many of you would be willing to pay $21,000 for a sedan with 500whp??? eek!
Old 03-15-2003, 08:28 AM

Vehicle: 1999 Elantra

Maybe the Tib is already worn out? Did you install a performance intake system in your Elantra?
Old 03-16-2003, 09:40 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

I think the major difference is the fact that your old elantra was modified, whereas your Tiburon is stock.

Install the same mods on your Tiburon as is on your Elantra, and I think you will find it responds as good as your elantra does.
Old 03-16-2003, 10:31 PM

I think I must agree with Random (and please, I wasen't clear enough, my Tiburon is a 2.0 FX, and it has only 20 k miles), all I wanted to state is that the 1.6 is not a bad performer. Also, it's lighter (like 120 pounds at least) and the engine is coupled to a closer ratio gearbox, so maybe that's why it feels quick and responsive.

This week I'm going to change the suspension of the Tib (Springs and shocks) and next week I'm going for the CAI. I have to decide yet if I'm going to get an Arospeed Header (it's 350 U.S.$ here) or if I'm going to change the exhaust line first (I can't do both at the time) and then I'll post my after modding impressions.
wink