General Performance & Hyundai Chat If you can't figure out which performance/modifications catagory to put your post in, then put it here. Also use this are to discuss general things about your Hyundai.

Things you wish you had done differently

Old 03-18-2015, 07:43 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 01 Tiburon Turbo, 99 Tiburon F2E, 2013 Avalon XLE Touring
Default Things you wish you had done differently

This topic could probably save others from making the same mistakes. So, if you could go back in time with the knowledge you have now, and do something different with your build.....

I would have installed a 180lph Walbro instead of the 255lph, forcing me to also install an aftermarket FPR. This caused lots of headaches, such as breaking fuel rails because I mounted the FPR on the rail. I spent way too much time tapping the rail, drilling holes to mount the FPR, etc.

I would have shelled out more for a quality clutch instead of wasting my time with the Spec, XTD, etc. All of them grenaded in my trans. I spent way too much time tearing apart the car instead of enjoying it and shooting for more power.

I wish I had gotten more qualified experience on what was causing my spark blowout problems. I guess I was too lazy to find a good qualified tuner to diagnose my problem. (not that there were many around)

I'm sure there is more. I'll post as I think of them all.
Old 03-18-2015, 03:42 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: Two Accents, Mini, Miata, Van, Outback, and a ZX-6

I would have skipped all n/a mods and gone straight for forced induction.
Old 03-18-2015, 11:20 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Vehicle: '14 Ford F-150

I would have kept my '97 WS6.
Old 03-19-2015, 12:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Begin Rant

I would have never bought my 2001 Tiburon . It's a good running vehicle, when it runs. But man, I don't think I've ever done so much maintenance on a vehicle. Granted, it had 142k miles on it when I bought it. Had it for two years and have had to replace:

- Spark plugs and wires were worn out $50

- Entire upper head/gaskets/timing belt due to timing belt break $600

- Drivers window regulator broke $75

- Lower exhaust flex pipe cracked (manifold has a huge crack too, but I live with it) $80

- Then shortly after drivers side window switches broke $25

- Brakes needed replaced, all 4 rotors/pads $200

- Tires needed replaced $300

- Lower transmission/engine mounts were busted $60

- Clutch slave cylinder was leaking $20

- Alignment was way off, had to fix that $90

- Radio shorted out $90

- Lower catalytic convertor melted almost completely shut...car wouldn't run hardly $220

- Battery died on me $110

- A/C radiator fan died, car was overheating cause of it $70

- Radiator just had a massive leak, had to replace $120

- A/C just needed recharged $25

- Various interior pieces, electrical problems, dead sensors, and bulbs keep breaking or blowing $100

Clutch has been chattering since I bought it. It'll go on me one of these days I'm sure. And wheel bearings are making noises now. I'm going to probably sell this damn maintenance hog and buy a freaking truck again.

Some of it's just basic maintenance...but I did not expect all that. I do all my own maintenance so at least I don't have to pay labor costs, just a bunch of my time. But that all adds up to $2300 in maintenance in 2 years (and I'm sure I forgot a bunch), which is obsurd. I bought the car to save money on gas, but instead ended up paying more in maintenance! Should have kept my 1984 blazer...that thing was flawless and ran like a dream

End Rant
Old 03-19-2015, 01:02 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 01 Tiburon Turbo, 99 Tiburon F2E, 2013 Avalon XLE Touring

That seems about right for the mileage you have. Most of that is just maintenance items. The rest is bad luck. Why did you buy one with 142k? I just did a search for Tibs across the country and there are tons of them with far less mileage. I've had cars and trucks. Trust me, the truck is always more expensive to maintain, and fuel up. These Tibs/Elantras will run forever if maintained correctly.
Old 03-19-2015, 05:26 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Originally Posted by JonGTR
That seems about right for the mileage you have. Most of that is just maintenance items. The rest is bad luck. Why did you buy one with 142k? I just did a search for Tibs across the country and there are tons of them with far less mileage. I've had cars and trucks. Trust me, the truck is always more expensive to maintain, and fuel up. These Tibs/Elantras will run forever if maintained correctly.

It was the only decent commuter vehicle I could find that had under 200k miles for under $2500. Used vehicles are way overpriced in california. People think their sh*t is gold around here. A used vehicle with under 10k miles per year is really good for around where I live. Most people drive 20-30k miles per year here.

I had my 1984 blazer for 5 years without a single hiccup on that bad body (it had 240k miles). I only got rid of it to get an extra 10mpg or so. Next time I'll be spending at least double to triple on a GOOD commuter. It'll be worth it just so there's no headache of parts breaking all the time.
Old 03-19-2015, 08:05 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

Originally Posted by onecrazyfoo4u
- Lower exhaust flex pipe cracked (manifold has a huge crack too, but I live with it) $80

If it's a split manifold you're out of luck. If it's the manifold welded to the catalytic converter, find my post about getting the manifold replaced free and then have a local dealership hook it up.
Old 03-29-2015, 05:00 PM

Vehicle: 2003 Tiburón GT

Owning the Rd2 have enabled me to take a different approach from my RD1. I started with brake, suspension and tires, instead of the usual I.H.E. eventually i will also boost the RD2 but I'm taking my time on that.
Old 03-29-2015, 10:51 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

kept it stock.

got a rwd vehicle.