General Performance & Hyundai Chat If you can't figure out which performance/modifications catagory to put your post in, then put it here. Also use this are to discuss general things about your Hyundai.

Self Driving Cars

Old 03-02-2016, 05:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2004 Accent GT
Default Self Driving Cars

Contrary to what many think, there is no uniform traffic law in the U.S, each state has its own traffic laws, and there can be significant differences. Differences such as turning right on a red arrow, wide turns, left passing lanes. These laws can be very different between two States.

From what I have read self driving cars currently can NOT handle these variations, they are programmed for a specific jurisdiction only. So how will this problem be fixed?.
Old 03-02-2016, 08:44 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

More programming, is all. Much less of a problem than getting the cars to do well in one particular State.
Old 03-03-2016, 06:13 AM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Vehicle: 2010 Genesis 2.0T

^ to what Stocker said. Basically every car will have to be programmed for the state it's sold in. However, that doesnt answer the question to what happens if the car travels out of state lines and does something that isn't legal. I think in those instances, drivers will have to maintain control of the vehicle and not let it drive on it's own. But we're still a looooooong way away from that happening so I wouldn't worry too much about that.
Old 03-03-2016, 12:45 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: Two Accents, Mini, Miata, Van, Outback, and a ZX-6

It'll already have GPS and know where it is. I can pretty much guarantee that they'll do better than any normal person. I do well in neighboring states but I have no idea how driving laws differ in distant states. Any driverless car will have the ability to operate off of a database by location.
Old 03-16-2016, 06:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2009 Hyundai Sonata GLS

I am terrified by the concept of self driving cars.