General Performance & Hyundai Chat If you can't figure out which performance/modifications catagory to put your post in, then put it here. Also use this are to discuss general things about your Hyundai.

"A" revison 1997 Tiburon photos

Old 05-22-2001, 04:36 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S
Default "A" revison 1997 Tiburon photos

Some of you may have wondered what an "A" revision tiburon is. Well, My dad happens to own one. Yup...I'm a second generation Tiburon Owner.

The "A" Revision Tiburons were the first units brought into the USA. They have a couple of things that make them different from the tiburon you and I drive.

#1. The intake resonator has a slightly different opening.

#2. And this is the biggy. The Evap Canister for the engine side of the fuel system is in the fender well in front of the drivers front wheel.

If you peel back the fender lining... you will see it.

Or you can save yourself a little bit of work. If you have this bracket sticking out of the shield...it's holding up that EVAP canister...and you have one of the "A" Tiburons.
Old 05-23-2001, 12:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: Ex Hyundai Owner

awesome Random,

hey can you do me a favor and repost this in the ENGINE FORUM over at Fxtreme... I think this is super important so we don't have the same mix up anymore on CAI's like we did last week...

thanks man
Old 05-23-2001, 07:41 AM
Red

Outside of the obvious differences, there are some "invisible" changes as well.

The onboard computer is different, the alternator has a different rating, and oddly enough the clutch facings appear to be stronger.

None of these really equate to any actual horsepower differences, but they're just "odd" nonetheless.

These issues can impede progress with upgrades -- the EVAP canister that Random mentioned gets in the way of almost every CAI known to exist.

The onboard computer is programmed slightly differently than others, so anyone making aftermarket ECU's will have to scan your unique chip to make changes. (Been there: Powerchip took four weeks to get my ECU scanned and reprogrammed)

It's just a one-off sorta thing, they really don't pose any other significant problem.

-Red-
Old 05-24-2001, 02:13 PM

i am one of those lucky ones to have an 'a'
born in april of 96..
Old 05-25-2001, 01:16 AM
Red

Axis! Did you say APRIL of 96? Like 04/96?

Holy hell that's an old Tiburon! You've got the oldest one I know of now! I'm not sure if I should say "props" or "sorry" hehehe

-Red-
Old 05-25-2001, 04:38 AM

lol smile.gif

yeah, last time i checked, i remember that was the date.. i'll check again next time i go out to my car (don't feel like making the 'trek' to my car right now)..

but it's still running fine.. no real problems, smile.gif
Old 05-29-2001, 01:44 PM

that air intake resonator reminds me of the one that's on the mitsubishi evo for some reason.

hyundaipower
Old 05-29-2001, 02:53 PM

i posted this at the other thread too but:

my tib's DOB:

Old 09-18-2011, 04:11 AM

Vehicle: X3 Sprint, S-Coupe Turbo

I'm interested in these revision A tibs. The links to the team SR site are naturally broken by now. When did they convert from rev. As to regular RD1s? Does anyone have a little more detailed information on the differences between these cars? I'd really like to open up a discussion on revision As.

Epic thread revival, btw.