General Performance & Hyundai Chat If you can't figure out which performance/modifications catagory to put your post in, then put it here. Also use this are to discuss general things about your Hyundai.

Quickshifter/Shortshifter

Old 09-06-2001, 04:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Quickshifter/Shortshifter

I did a search for this but didn't come up with anything.
Can anyone tell me the diff between a shortshifter and a quickshifter.
From what I understand they're not the same thing.
Advantages/Disadvantages?

Thanks guys.
Old 09-06-2001, 06:51 AM

I use the terms interchangably. Shortshifter=quickshifter.

If I'm wrong, someone correct me.

a
Old 09-06-2001, 07:08 AM

Nope it's the same exact thing. You say tomato I say tomAto.
Old 09-06-2001, 06:01 PM

From my readings, they do the same thing but "sometimes" can refer to different mechanisms.

Shortshifters from what I have seen and used is an altered shifter that makes the length below the ball joint longer and the length above "usually" shorter making the shifter short with shorter throws (thus the name). My probe had a shift distance of like half an inch between gears. Pacesetter makes a common universal shifter you can modify by moving the ball joint up or down the shaft (crude jokes anyone smile.gif ).

Quickshifters, as displayed in a catalogue I have, are much larger mechanisms that replace basically the whole assembly from the hand to tranny-arm. A step up from that are the racing-shifter, which are another beast unto themselves...

...Of course, I could also be totally blowing smoke up your skirt. I am not a mechanic smile.gif
Old 09-08-2001, 04:02 AM

Yeah...that would be this catalogue. Hurst was the company. My old car was easy...just a Pacesetter adjustable was used. The shortshifter kit for the tibby is very intimidating.
Old 09-08-2001, 04:16 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

Originally posted by Slipstream:
The shortshifter kit for the tibby is very intimidating.

Why do you say that? If you are worried about cutting your shifter base plate, try the HVE unit. No cutting involved.
Old 09-08-2001, 07:44 AM

Don't worry at all. Installing the short sifter from SR is one of the easiest things YOU can do. I did mine myself and I have never even done more than an oil change. I took my time and just mapped out where all the washers were and how the spring sat. The spring assembly is the only kinda tricky part. On speedstate.com they spell out how to do every little thing. And by the way, cutting was the easiest part. I biggest pain in the ass for me was getting the little brass clips off of the cables.
PS remember the base plate is just plastic. I used a cheap soddering iron from the dollar store to melt the tight spots or hard to reach areas. OK that is getto, but it worked . HondaEater
Old 09-08-2001, 12:05 PM

My old shortshifter was a bent rod and took half an hour to put in... you mention "washers" and "soldering irons" and I get intimidated. smile.gif

Remember my motto, "If its worth doing well, then its worth paying someone else to do it."
Old 09-24-2001, 01:51 PM

I installed my shortshifter myself, and I took a ****load of pictures. If you want to check them out, go to shark.deckernet.net.
I have a picture comparing stock shifter to MHP shortshifter.