General Performance & Hyundai Chat If you can't figure out which performance/modifications catagory to put your post in, then put it here. Also use this are to discuss general things about your Hyundai.

Proper use of helium in tig welding

Old 03-20-2012, 11:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 05 Elantra
Default Proper use of helium in tig welding

I have a buddy who told me that using helium mix for gas will allow the load of the welder to be down while still achieving good weld characteristics. I know this is true, and the truth of it is not in question. What is, is the method of delivery. He said that I would need to regulators, 2 check valves, a "y" fitting, and 2 tanks. He also said to use about 60% helium to 40% argon. What is the problem with just getting an already mixed tank of argon and helium?
Old 03-20-2012, 11:55 AM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

Argon and Helim don't mix. You'd get 100% helium for 60% of the tank, then 100% argon for the remaining 40%.
Old 03-20-2012, 03:56 PM

Vehicle: 2000 hyundai tiburon

i believe your friend is only mostly correct instead of completely correct. i use both at work as your friend described w/ the 2 czech valves, 2 flowmeters (proper term), and the "y" connector. what i do differently is i use 20% helium and 80% argon. according to what i was taught in welding school by the former boston chairman of the american welding society is that using 20% of helium is identical to using 100% helium in tig welding. give it a try. let me know if you find a differance.