General Performance & Hyundai Chat If you can't figure out which performance/modifications catagory to put your post in, then put it here. Also use this are to discuss general things about your Hyundai.

N00B question

Old 11-01-2010, 12:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2004 Accent
Default N00B question

When you have a dead battery, you can get your car started by popping the clutch. What exactly does this mean and whats the procedure to doing it? Ive never done it before nor do I know anyone else who has either. So knowing how to do it and what to do is probably good to know in case someone is stuck somewhere without jumper cables.
Old 11-01-2010, 01:17 PM

Vehicle: 1998/Hyundai/Tiburon FX Turbo

Originally Posted by KID82
When you have a dead battery, you can get your car started by popping the clutch. What exactly does this mean and whats the procedure to doing it? Ive never done it before nor do I know anyone else who has either. So knowing how to do it and what to do is probably good to know in case someone is stuck somewhere without jumper cables.

I havent heard of anyone start their car by popping the clutch but back in the Philippines people always start there car by putting it on 3rd(I think not really sure which gear) then some guys will push the car then turn the ignition it always works.
Old 11-01-2010, 02:42 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Basically roll down hill and start her up lol
Old 11-01-2010, 03:27 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

get the car moving, put it in gear, and slide the clutch like you were gonna launch the car

i tend to give it some gas also
Old 11-01-2010, 10:43 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

If you don't even know what to call it, you get a pass for not looking it up yourself

Somebody has to push. It is better if the pusher is not also the driver, but not 100% required. The car gets pushed from a standing start to a few miles per hour. While it is being pushed, the hand brake and foot brakes should all be released (! funny story for later . . . ) and headlights and readio etc. turned OFF. The transmission should be in Neutral and the key set to the RUN position. When the car gets up to "holy cow I'm running pushing a car" speed, push in the clutch pedal and shift into 2nd or 3rd (never 1st) gear. WARN the pushers and give them a half-tick to let go, then let the clutch pedal "pop" up by quickly taking your foot off it. The momentum of the car will often be enough to overcome the engine's compression for long enough to get the alternator charging up, providing electricity to run the ignition. If your pusher is also your passenger, remember to swing around and pick them up.

Done well, you are a hero. Done poorly, you are a moron and the subject of derision from the pushers.
Old 11-02-2010, 04:00 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Veloster DCT w/ Tech

^That is correct, lol. Done this more times in the past than I care to remember, but it definitely works!!
Old 11-02-2010, 04:23 PM

Vehicle: 1998 Hyundai Tiburon

i had a 240sx that i had to jump daily, i have a steep drive way so i would open up the garage with my foot out the driver door. a little push off the floor and rolled down the drive and popped the clutch.

BTW dont try this if you have someone to help you push it back in the drive way.

And park in places where you dont have to pop it in reverse. reverse is alot harder to get it started unless you have a steep hill.(its the gearing i believe)
Old 11-03-2010, 07:38 AM

Vehicle: 2012 Veloster DCT w/ Tech

Yeah, reverse and first are the same.