General Performance & Hyundai Chat If you can't figure out which performance/modifications catagory to put your post in, then put it here. Also use this are to discuss general things about your Hyundai.

Mechanics

Old 08-24-2011, 12:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 01 Tiburon
Default Mechanics

Do you guys think being a mechanic in todays economy is a smart career move? Seems like many people are not buying new cars and are keeping their used ones, but just getting stuff fixed on them. So I would think being a mechanic when the economy is down, is a good way to make some money.

Discuss.
Old 08-24-2011, 10:17 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

If you can sell yourself to get a good job at a good shop, being a mechanic is probably one of the surest bets out there. If you will let yourself be locked into a low-paying job, you will be able to find that (or be out of work) easily enough.

Just remember: mechanics get nasty dirty and sweat their b*lls off during the summer and freeze in the winter, while making pretty good money. My dad got a degree in automotive technology and he works on industrial graphics machines in the a/c. He recommended I also find a job other than wrenching on cars.
Old 08-25-2011, 07:49 AM

Vehicle: 2011 Tuscon

As a mechanic in the field the second paragraph of stockers post hits it on the head. I come home dirty every night. Our shop is a giant tin can't with very little ventilation so the summer sucks. And winter we use a waste oil heater that can barley heat the bathroom let alone the whole shop.

Its great money, easy work if you know what your doing and know how to play the flat rate system.
Old 08-25-2011, 08:31 PM

Vehicle: 1991 Impulse RS

I was working at a GM dealership as a grease monkey for a few years, and was inline to get signed up for my auto mechanics apprenticeship, but changed my mind. I got sick of working on other peoples cars and I no longer enjoyed it anymore. I like working on cars as a hobby, not a career.

The are MANY fields you can get into besides auto mechanics that involve the same basic idea/principal. I became an HVAC-R mechanic (heating, ventilation, a/c, refrigeration). The pay is AMAZING (75K+/year, up to 100K+/year depending on who you work for and what kind of equipment you work on), I was given a work truck to drive whenever I want (with a gas card) and absolutely love the work. I get to work on and repair some pretty cool machines!

You could also become an electrician, plumber, elevator mechanic (VERY high paying job, my Dad was one) a controls guy (if you like electronics. ?? not sure of the actual title). There are lots of choices, you just need to find one YOU like.

People will ALWAYS need to have their car repaired, furnace/a/c repaired and toilets fixed. A job in a trade is always a good bet. Just remember, all of these jobs require some pretty intensive schooling and on the job training, but it's well worth it in the end.