General Performance & Hyundai Chat If you can't figure out which performance/modifications catagory to put your post in, then put it here. Also use this are to discuss general things about your Hyundai.
View Poll Results: Would you rather....
Drive an Accent, permanently in Econo mode
0%
Fall down a flight of stairs
100.00%
Voters: 1. You may not vote on this poll

M3 blew a HG, traded it in on a 2014 Accent

Old 03-07-2014, 08:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2014 Hyundai Accent M6
Default M3 blew a HG, traded it in on a 2014 Accent

Hey guys!

Figured I'd stop in to introduce myself and talk a little shop.

Until Wednesday of this week I was driving a 99 BMW M3, with cams, fuel injectors, and a 4.10 gear in the rear end. Then it blew a headgasket.

Being a production salesperson who travels a lot I went ahead and bought a brand new econo box, and I must say, it's pretty chill. Except for the "Econ Mode", that sh*t drives me batty.

I had the M3 for a few years, before that all my performance cars had been forced Mitsubishis. The M3 was really the first car to acquaint me with the importance of gearing. Working on DSMs and EVOs, changing gear ratios was never really an option.

So,with that in mind, the first thing I noticed after turning that damn economy mode off, was the.... interesting gearing in my new car. Obviously it's not engineered for performance, but I am surprised that they used such wide gears and a (relatively tall) final drive for a car with so little power. Actually, the car generates a totally acceptable amount of power, just not for the provided gearing.

Obviously, they did this for fuel economy, but damn does it make it annoying to find the right gear sometimes. 1st, 2nd, and 3rd are split WAY apart, and 4th 5th and 6th are all bunched together... that part makes no sense.

I've attached a spreadsheet that puts all the gear drive ratio's side by side for my old BMW (Miss you )and the 2014 Hyundai Accent I now drive. You can change all the numbers in the worksheet my adjusting the final drive number at the top.... NEVERMIND. WOULDN'T ALLOW ATTTACHMENT.

If anyone knows a vendor that sells LSD Diffs w/ 4.10 or 4.30 gears for the Accent, let me know. Might actually make it fun to drive (and capable of hills).

Aaaanyways, if you guys do meets and stuff let me know. I'll come hang out.

Zak
Old 03-07-2014, 08:44 AM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Vehicle: 2010 Genesis 2.0T

There might be some shops in Korea that sell an LSD but good luck finding anything in the states, especially with the car being so new.

to the forum though!
Old 03-07-2014, 08:44 AM

Well, here's the cliffnotes on overall gear ratios, as it won't let me upload the excel sheet:

Hyundai Accent Final: 3.65 Gear Ratio 1 3.77 13.7605 2 2.04 7.446 3 1.29 4.7085 4 1.04 3.796 5 0.89 3.2485 6 0.77 2.8105

BMW M3 Final: 4.1 1 4.2 17.22 2 2.49 10.209 3 1.66 6.806 4 1.24 5.084 5 1 4.1

Ohhh f*ck it, the spreadsheet is way better. If anyone actually cares I'll email it to you.

Off to work with me.

Old 03-07-2014, 08:47 AM

True, probably will be hard/impossible to find... but the car only weighs 2480lbs or so... would probably be fun with real gears and some suspension stuff.
Old 03-07-2014, 09:10 AM

Vehicle: MC + RD2 + AW11 + 944 = 4x Win

Considering the Cee'd and i20 both use the Gamma motor, that's the most likely solution. But again, nothing states side that I'm aware of, probably need to look in the UK/European market.
Old 03-07-2014, 10:42 AM

Haha! Just figured out that the Veloster has a Gamma engine (the turbo one, but w/e) and has a final drive gear of 4.467.... my accent came w/ a 3.65...

Plus the actual gears in the the transmission in the Accent are shorter by a little bit.

I'm gonna do that swap as soon as I can.

EDIT: I also found out that, somehow, the veloster weighs 500lbs heavier than my accent. WTF!?!
Old 03-07-2014, 02:49 PM

Vehicle: X3 Sprint, S-Coupe Turbo

Honestly man, keep this thing as a reliable daily and get something else for going fast. An accent with the seats folded down would be great for hauling crap from the parts store.

I think you would stand to lose too many conveniences (ie warranty and many hours of your life) by diddling around with this, and it wouldn't make the car fast enough to be worth it.

I don't even like being negative

I just don't think it would be a good idea
Old 03-07-2014, 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by wheel_of_steel
Honestly man, keep this thing as a reliable daily and get something else for going fast. An accent with the seats folded down would be great for hauling crap from the parts store.

I think you would stand to lose too many conveniences (ie warranty and many hours of your life) by diddling around with this, and it wouldn't make the car fast enough to be worth it.

I don't even like being negative

I just don't think it would be a good idea

Oh, I have absolutely no interest in voiding the warranty or anything silly like that yet. I'll wait until the car's paid off. Even if the parts would fit, they'd all be brand new an damn expensive, although it'd be highly unlikely they would damage anything given the blazing 138hp output of the motor, I still wouldn't risk it.

I suppose I'm just having trouble adjusting from an M3 that ran a 12.97 e/t. to a car that doesn't like hills very much. (Maybe it'd be more appropriate to say that it doesn't have gearing that deals well with hills).

In all likelihood I'll autocross the Accent. Good opportunity to practice my driving skills without having to fight a torque monster.

The Accent reminds me of an EG Hatch I had back in the day. Both relatively light, both fun. Mark my words, the day the warranty expires, it's getting a turbo and new diff.
Old 03-08-2014, 06:24 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: Two Accents, Mini, Miata, Van, Outback, and a ZX-6

The Accent should do relatively well at autocross. Myself and others have had success with earlier model Accents. Aside from homebuilt things modifying an Accent is expensive with minimal returns...trust me, I know far too well.