General Performance & Hyundai Chat If you can't figure out which performance/modifications catagory to put your post in, then put it here. Also use this are to discuss general things about your Hyundai.

Low oil pressure/knocking noise

Old 04-02-2015, 02:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: Tiburon
Default Low oil pressure/knocking noise

Hello everyone I recently noticed a lot of smoke coming out the tail pipe. My AEM wideband reads at about 10.5-13.0 A/F but sometimes it spikes over 16. Unfortunately my prosport oil pressure gauge had stopped working for unknown reasons. In the last 2 months my modified big 20g turbo has been rebuild by the same person. It has failed 3 times in the last 2 months and everytime its taken apart its in the same condition. Major shaft play, inside pistons stuck, warped turbo cartridge, lots of un burnt oil in the downpipe. I suspected a low oil pressure condition but I didnt have any accurate information at the time. So I added a mechanical gauge on the block by the factory oil pressure sensor. With a freshly re build turbo after the start idling cold. The pressure was about 47-49psi after it reached its optimum temperature it idled at 26.5-28psi. I took it for a 2 block test drive and went WOT in 2nd gear and it didnt reach full boost (16psi). It felt sluggish. I pulled over and to my heart dropping surprise the gauge now read (opsi) ohhhh sh*t I turned it off immediately. Not to mention I turned it on again just to verify that the condition was still active I revved it at about 1500 rpm and it made knocking noise clearly coming from the block. My question to you guys is what would you guys suggest me to do after this.
Old 04-02-2015, 02:49 PM

Vehicle: 2003 Tiburón GT

I would say rebuild it or ger another engine
Old 04-02-2015, 02:55 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 01 Tiburon Turbo, 99 Tiburon F2E, 2013 Avalon XLE Touring

It could be 0psi because your bearings spun and oil is pissing out of the rod journals. You're better off getting another motor and either using factory internals or upgrading it. It's not worth the hassle of messing with the crank and rods you have. They're toast.

Your AFR's are a different issue.
Old 04-02-2015, 06:52 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Vehicle: '14 Ford F-150

Ditto...
Old 04-03-2015, 12:49 PM

Vehicle: Tiburon

Thank you for the input. I thought about getting another block and have it assembled. But the block that I got currently is semi build with wiseco oversize 83mm pistons. I would like to have this build again and even perhaps add the pauter rods along with it. The shark is just going sit for now but at the same time I dont want to think about it too much as I would like to drive it soon.....knowing that I just paid my tags like a month ago........
Old 04-03-2015, 04:51 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 01 Tiburon Turbo, 99 Tiburon F2E, 2013 Avalon XLE Touring

You don't need a new block, you need a new balanced crank, oil pump, and possibly rods.